Author Topic: What Would You Like to See in a New Ship?  (Read 17010 times)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
Re: What Would You Like to See in a New Ship?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 19:08:07 »
It will never happen - sorry to burst your bubble  ;D

The same way my Rorke's Drift theme will never happen, and the same way a PM Apache helicopter will never happen. Still ... I must say it's a very clever idea you came up with.

:)
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 19:16:04 »
It may never happen but BlackPearl's idea and plans are briliant!!!!  :D :D :D

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 20:32:17 »
I dunno, maybe if they started with a smaller ship,
Like with two masts. (or one)

It is a lot different then the other ships that they have produced...
Which may be why Playmobil would be "nervous" to produce this.

But if they started with a smaller ship,
Like the "take along castle."
It is a totally different system,
not steck, not system X, and not the new stuff. :hmm:

I think if they tried it out with a little ship where you could expand it like Black Pearl says,
It could be a little more feasible/realistic.
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 21:09:28 »
the new ship 4290

?
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 21:43:31 »
the new ship 4290

?

The gimmicks on this ship don't counter it's ugly aesthetics.  The only redeeming quality this ship has IMO is that it has 2 extra sails.  The stern is ok-looking, but the bow is absolutely atrocious, having exposed ribs on the bow, and ugly figurehead (no matter which one you choose to display), and a lack of a true gun deck, not to mention the colours and lack of real rigging.  I bought a cheap one of ebay for US$20 where repainting it will help cure some of the aesthetics, but its design is going to have to be severly overhauled.  The new ship is far from any vision of what I'd want in a new ship design.  This one really is for kiddies.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 21:49:32 »
The gimmicks on this ship don't counter it's ugly aesthetics.  The only redeeming quality this ship has IMO is that it has 2 extra sails.  The stern is ok-looking, but the bow is absolutely atrocious, having exposed ribs on the bow, and ugly figurehead (no matter which one you choose to display), and a lack of a true gun deck, not to mention the colours and lack of real rigging.  I bought a cheap one of ebay for US$20 where repainting it will help cure some of the aesthetics, but its design is going to have to be severly overhauled.  The new ship is far from any vision of what I'd want in a new ship design.  This one really is for kiddies.

true  :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup:
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 22:20:26 »
Great plans, blackpearl! That's exactly what I had in mind. I guess great minds think alike!   ;D  I also think it will probably never happen, but we can dream can't we?

I like the pirate theme, but I actually don't have any pirate ships, mostly because I am not satisfied with anything they've come out with. If they made this ship, I'd be sold on collecting pirates!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 22:27:50 by bonniebeth »
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 23:19:10 »
Here is my crude mock-up of how the ship could be expandable.  It would feature a base set consisting of a bow, a stern, and one mid-section piece, forming a tri-mast ship.

The middle piece can be expanded by adding additional mid-section hull pieces.

Additionally, the ship can also be expanded by additional deck levels, allowing multi-decked ships.

Different configurations can be accomplished by adding extra topmasts, spritsail masts, etc....

I want it!

It is a great idea especially if they would include enough cannons to adorn the openings for each added section kit! Would you recommend using some type of silicone sealer on the addition joints to make the ship water worthy? How far below the water line would the bottom of the ship need to extend to prevent water from entering the gun ports due to the present problem of shallow hulls taking in water in the current PM designs? I have another question concerning creating a ship of this enormous size regarding balance on water,...how much ballast would you estimate it would need to stay upright, fully manned & equipped ???? Sorry for so many questions, but this idea intrigues me :eh?:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 00:15:56 »
Yes, ballast might be a problem, because as you added extensions, you would have extra weight on various levels if each level were weighted at the bottom. But you could have detachable weights that you could snap onto the bottom if you were going to put it in the water, but take off so it could rest on a table.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 00:41:16 »
It is a great idea especially if they would include enough cannons to adorn the openings for each added section kit! Would you recommend using some type of silicone sealer on the addition joints to make the ship water worthy? How far below the water line would the bottom of the ship need to extend to prevent water from entering the gun ports due to the present problem of shallow hulls taking in water in the current PM designs? I have another question concerning creating a ship of this enormous size regarding balance on water,...how much ballast would you estimate it would need to stay upright, fully manned & equipped ???? Sorry for so many questions, but this idea intrigues me :eh?:!

Well, on a larger multi-decked ship like the Victory, you can see here that almost HALF the entire hull is below the waterline!

But even on a correctly-portioned scale model (sailable) ship like the one in the above pic, I have seen the lowest cannon ports delve below the waterline in rough waters;  even if the ship (even a playmoship) is scaled correctly with correct ballast and everything, one thing will always be out of scale: WAVES.  Real life waves don't shrink down to accommodate our miniature ships!  Even when scaled correctly, this still puts our cannon ports only an inch or two above the waterline in real life.  So, much like the model above, the cannon ports, while they may still brandish cannons, will have to somehow be sealed off from the hull because they ARE going to delve below the waterline at some point, unless you're just sailing your ship in a still pond/bathtub.

On my Black Pearl, I find when fully loaded with all cannons and personnel, along with enough ballast to counter the extra topend weight, it also follows this rule, where a little less than half the ship's hull is below the waterline (bringing the cannon ports way too close to the water.)

So, IMO, maybe there would have to be additional hull-bottom add-ons (or make the base hull bottom deep to begin with) to counter extra decks being stacked.   In short, every time you add an extra deck, you have to have that much more "bottom" thickness" to the hull to compensate.  So when you build up, you also have to build down.

However, if you're simply trying to increase the length of the ship by adding  single hull units (and not stacking decks), it shouldn't need any extra compensation other than additional ballast which should already be incorporated in each individual hull unit.

As far as sealant between compartments, my thoughts was that the compartments would be self-contained, at least on the bottom portions that fall below the waterline.  (each piece could float on it's own).  Technically, if assembled with multiple units, water could still get in between the units, but won't leak INTO the units. Essentially, the units below the waterline will have walls that are sealed off completely from the other units.  this is actually an innovation that real ships would later employ:  compartamentalized hull sections.  In real life this allowed ships to purposely flood specific compartments to adjust ballast according to the ship's current load.  Also, for fishing vessels, it allowed parts of the hull to be filled with water to take on live catch.  More importantly, compartamentalized hull sections were safer, in case the hull was breached, only that specific part of the hull would take on water instead of the entire ship, thus saving the ship from sinking completely.

In my vision, the hull sections would join firmly together via some sort of male-female system (I doubt system x would be strong enough).

The portions above the water line wouldn't have to have sealed off walls.  They'd still have walls, but there will be doors/passageways connecting the decks so the klickies can still walk the length of the ship on each deck.

I'll have to draw this up with pencil or mouse tablet later, as drawing with MS Paint line tool is tedious.

I know this'll probably never happen, but this is our wishful thinking thread, is it not?   :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:04:57 by BlackPearl2006 »
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!