Author Topic: PlaymoDB down?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
Re: PlaymoDB down?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2024, 01:42:09 »
As far as I know, most of the data on Playmodb was scraped from the Playmobil website via some electronic means which I don't fully understand and put into the Playmodb database.  A good deal was also done manually or via files sent over by others who had done the manual input. 

I'm totally speculating here, but given that Playmodb hasn't been updated for a long time and that Heather has been unreachable, at least for me, I wonder if Geobra management are involved somehow.

Aw NUTS. That place was so helpful. :( I used it for references all the time. I s there no one else who was co-running it?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2024, 10:02:10 »
Aw NUTS. That place was so helpful. :( I used it for references all the time. I s there no one else who was co-running it?

No, just Heather.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2024, 10:11:05 »
I think everyone should read this, posted by Heather in 2013, near the start of a 17 month period during which PlaymoDB functioned poorly or not at all. Give her some space and time to come up with a solution!
https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=12727.msg237706#msg237706
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2024, 11:53:22 »
Considering Heather's age and apparent retirement, she may be at a point where she simply wants to move on. Crowdfunding to solve any operational upgrade expenses is fine, but I have a suspicion what she may really need is a successor.

Honestly, why this site exists separately from hers is a mystery to me. They would make a good marriage, and give the community better weight with corporate PM.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 13:01:46 by Alex4420 »

Offline pingo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2024, 14:56:04 »
 :yippee: PlaymoDB is back  :woohoo:  :thanks:
I'm just not into baby blue cars

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2024, 15:27:35 »
Were you able to search for anything, pingo?  I am still getting the same lengthy error message that I got a couple of days ago.  :(
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2024, 15:57:33 »
Considering Heather's age and apparent retirement, she may be at a point where she simply wants to move on. Crowdfunding to solve any operational upgrade expenses is fine, but I have a suspicion what she may really need is a successor.

100% agreement there!  I always wondered whether Playmodb could be transformed into some sort of wiki where trusted contributors could update the site.

Honestly, why this site exists separately from hers is a mystery to me. They would make a good marriage, and give the community better weight with corporate PM.

That would seem to make sense, but perhaps the cost and effort of hosting and moderating a combined site would be a challenge.   Playmodb actually predates Playmofriends by about a year, I think, and those of us who've been around that long remember that Playmofriends was created because another fan site, Playmoboard, spiraled downward and eventually collapsed completely.   

There have been many ups and downs over the years within the playmobil community, even some here in this very friendly space, so I understand why Heather might want to have complete control over Playmodb, especially at the beginning.  Some folks have supplied Playmodb with photos and information and some monetary contributions over the years and Heather has always been scrupulous in giving credit to the source of the data shared on Playmodb.  But maintaining Playmodb must be a huge responsibility and I hope something can be done to preserve it for the future. 

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 16:03:13 »
There is a Wiki type Playmobil site:

https://playmobil.fandom.com/wiki/Playmobil
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2024, 16:22:27 »
I hope she is open to financial contributions. Perhaps it is time to fully fund a professional rebuild for her site (one better suited for mobile) and permanent professional hosting, which would allow her to only be responsible for new data uploads.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 16:40:59 »
I hope she is open to financial contributions. Perhaps it is time to fully fund a professional rebuild for her site (one better suited for mobile) and permanent professional hosting, which would allow her to only be responsible for new data uploads.

I hope that everyone who wants to offer support and/or ideas will try to contact Heather and let her know how much her efforts mean to them.  The email address from the website is: playmodb@gmail.com