Author Topic: Medieval sets not available in the US?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Medieval sets not available in the US?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 15:14:02 »
Considering they host 38 different PM country sites, I would say they are international  :P

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 17:30:51 »
Lego (for its normal, children focused sets) is packaged quite compactly and it never made a difference to my kids, b/c they knew whatever was in the box was going to be larger when it was assembled. I also never opened a Lego box and found damage like I have with PM due to loose parts knocking against each other, something which has been noted frequently on this forum.

Comparing LEGO to playmobil is problematic

LEGO enjoys a vast cult following and has no problem with brand recognition. Ask any stranger  on the street what LEGO is . Then ask what playmobil is.

When I do shows in the US very few people are aware what playmobil even is. The people who are not even familiar with toy brands just automatically assume it’s LEGO. They obviously don’t even know what LEGO looks like but they sure are familiar with the brand name.

So as a marketers stand point playmobil needs to command more of a product shelf appearance
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 17:34:11 »
I think it's clear that PM are doing a slowroll abandonment of the US market.

If that’s the case, this “slow roll” has been going on ever since it was distributed in the US .

Geobra has been trying to “crack” the US buying potential since day 1

Perhaps it’s time to “crack” the Asian market potential
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 18:35:46 »
It is funny PM makes US centric sets like Scooby-Do and Magnum PI but won't invest a cent in marketing or brand recognition here

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 22:30:01 »
We often think of Playmobil as a 'large international company' but is that really the case? Product availability, at least in the UK website, would indicate that they have logistical issues
I've dealt with many hobby related companies over the years and while postage can take an age at times, they manage to post the stuff they sell. Those with access to the online Playmostores get free shipping on orders over a certain amount so they're obviously not struggling that much to afford such generosity, especially given the large amount of empty space they're shipping.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2024, 22:48:54 »
It is funny PM makes US centric sets like Scooby-Do and Magnum PI but won't invest a cent in marketing or brand recognition here
They should do a color version of American football players so people can color their favourite team.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 02:38:23 »
They should do a color version of American football players so people can color their favourite team.

Yeah the sports sets were a great idea for the American market. Not a sports guy myself but I'm sure they'd be popular among the right crowd...and I'm just as sure PM didn't lift a finger to get them in front of those crowds. No attempt to sell at stadiums, advertise on sports sites, etc.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2024, 02:38:54 »
Only women like small presents

I had a Rolex all boxed up for you but now I won't send it
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2024, 02:57:32 »
I've dealt with many hobby related companies over the years and while postage can take an age at times, they manage to post the stuff they sell.

But Playmobil isn't a hobby related company. I'm sure that, as an adult, we're happy to wait 4 months for the shipping container to come from Europe but if I'm buying a present for my child's birthday then I expect it to arrive quickly. I couldn't believe it when I went on the UK site in December and the last posting date for Christmas was the 8th of December! Literally the busiest time of year and they can't deliver at a decent pace.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2024, 06:34:13 »
With all the brick and mortar shops closing in the US were left with fewer buying options

If you order direct from Geobra then they are getting 100% of the profits, free shipping is the least they could do