Author Topic: Medieval sets not available in the US?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
Medieval sets not available in the US?
« on: January 18, 2024, 14:58:26 »
Are the medieval buildings not being sold in the US? I see them on sale on the UK site... does PM not believe they would sell in the US? If they aren't being sold here, does PM offer an international shipping option from Germany or the UK? Forgive the naive questions, but I never thought I'd see a large international company try so badly not to sell their products... it's intensely frustrating.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Re: Medieval sets not available in the US?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 15:34:16 »
. . . . Forgive the naive questions, but I never thought I'd see a large international company try so badly not to sell their products... it's intensely frustrating.

As tahra has said so many times in so many ways: "they don't like money!"   :lol:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 15:40:33 »
I know people say there is always ebay, but from loooong experience buying ceramics from Germany, finding German sellers willing to ship to the US is not a simple task. I would also rather give my money to PM directly, but it seems they don't want to take it  :-\

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 23:43:34 »
I think it's clear that PM are doing a slowroll abandonment of the US market.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 02:24:46 »
Are the medieval buildings not being sold in the US? I see them on sale on the UK site... does PM not believe they would sell in the US? If they aren't being sold here, does PM offer an international shipping option from Germany or the UK? Forgive the naive questions, but I never thought I'd see a large international company try so badly not to sell their products... it's intensely frustrating.
Two things, firstly no, they don't sell outside their online shop country because.. ??? ???
Secondly, they like to put sets into boxes 2-3 times larger than they need to be so postage will be that much more expensive when you do find someone who'll ship.
The buildings are sort of in History which is a theme but mostly they're in Plus which used to be called add-ons and isn't regarded as a theme by most retailers from what I've seen so they don't carry such sets.

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 02:41:26 »
Thank you for letting me know. Better, more compact packaging and full international shipping would be smart and welcomed by PM fans everywhere.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 04:41:19 »
Only women like small presents

Kids and parents expect a certain sized box relative to the cost

If a set costs $100 and it fit into your palm ? You’d find it a bad value

If it took half your shopping/trolley cart up , you’d think your getting your money’s worth

It’s been a never ending dilemma with certain sets not getting released on which side of the pond
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 04:43:10 »
I seem to recall all the new versions of the medieval buildings were in the most recent US catalog . That is a pretty good indicator that they’ll eventually make it here
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 14:12:59 »
Only women like small presents

Kids and parents expect a certain sized box relative to the cost

If a set costs $100 and it fit into your palm ? You’d find it a bad value

If it took half your shopping/trolley cart up , you’d think your getting your money’s worth

It’s been a never ending dilemma with certain sets not getting released on which side of the pond

Lego (for its normal, children focused sets) is packaged quite compactly and it never made a difference to my kids, b/c they knew whatever was in the box was going to be larger when it was assembled. I also never opened a Lego box and found damage like I have with PM due to loose parts knocking against each other, something which has been noted frequently on this forum.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 15:03:21 »
I never thought I'd see a large international company try so badly not to sell their products... it's intensely frustrating.

We often think of Playmobil as a 'large international company' but is that really the case? Product availability, at least in the UK website, would indicate that they have logistical issues