Author Topic: Playmobil 71461: Village People  (Read 1244 times)

Offline bogol

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • FOCKENBERGH AERKOSMO
    • @mplified ideas
Playmobil 71461: Village People
« on: December 17, 2023, 17:37:16 »
Did anybody already post this set? I found it accidentally at my local bookstore today and I needed to have it. It was priced at € 19.99 which I think is a bit much for 6 klickys, but hey! Christmas is coming up.

I am a bit confused by Playmobil's marketing strategy though. Sets like these and also sets like the Star Trek series or sets like A-Team and the Magnum, P.I. Ferrari are aimed at adult collectors. And yet they don't really seem to care about us like when they scrapped the Collector's Club or make it difficult to purchase parts for customs or dioramas.

Offline bogol

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • FOCKENBERGH AERKOSMO
    • @mplified ideas
Re: Playmobil 71461: Village People
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 17:46:07 »
Ok, I am super late. GrahamB beat me almost 2 months to it. I apologize for bringing back old news. But the set is cool, I just put them on my music server!

Online JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 17:46:16 »
It was posted here: https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=17948.0  StJohn was kind enough to do a mini-order for us.  :love:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 08:45:39 »
I am a bit confused by Playmobil's marketing strategy though. Sets like these and also sets like the Star Trek series or sets like A-Team and the Magnum, P.I. Ferrari are aimed at adult collectors. And yet they don't really seem to care about us like when they scrapped the Collector's Club or make it difficult to purchase parts for customs or dioramas.

There are an increasing number of sets aimed at not just adults, but adults of a certain age (of which I am one!). No doubt we are targeted because of our disposable income. Also, perhaps licences for TV shows/movies/cars/groups of 70s and 80s vintage are cheaper than licences for things of more recent origin?

As to interacting with adult collectors, to canvas opinions about what to release, or to listen to their ideas for supply of parts, etc., geobra clearly has no stomach for this, sadly.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 11:58:09 »

I think there's 2 quite separate adult markets. There's adults who might buy Playmobil because it relates to a particular thing they already like (I suspect a lot of the car replicas fall into this, but also most of the TV related stuff).

Then there's adults who buy Playmobil because it's Playmobil. I only joined the Collectors Club towards the end, but I'll admit I don't fully understand what service it was envisioned as providing (besides letting you buy special figures). But other than it being wound up, the spare parts service and the range of sets available through Direct Service now means we're pretty well catered to.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 14:06:54 »
From a collectors perspective I’d say we get pretty decent treatment

Geobra has released many classic sets and continues to do so

As children , my friends and  I collected Gi-Joe 3” . There was no way in hell we could call up Mattel and get anything.

Geobra has for a very long time allowed customers to buy spare parts . In my opinion collectors have been getting decent treatment .

The Club was infected by self riotous Simps of a green nature

These new licensed sets are an interesting addition that if done tastefully can add a lot of unique parts and characters.

My only gripe is that traditionally Playmobil has a generic story for the most part , the child invented the story. These livened sets predetermine the story a bit .

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 05:38:04 »
There are an increasing number of sets aimed at not just adults, but adults of a certain age (of which I am one!). No doubt we are targeted because of our disposable income. Also, perhaps licences for TV shows/movies/cars/groups of 70s and 80s vintage are cheaper than licences for things of more recent origin?

As to interacting with adult collectors, to canvas opinions about what to release, or to listen to their ideas for supply of parts, etc., geobra clearly has no stomach for this, sadly.

Franchises from that era they haven't touched: Dr Who, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th century, Monty Python films, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, Aliens (yeah I don't see that one happening).

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 10:08:12 »
Franchises from that era they haven't touched: Dr Who, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th century, Monty Python films, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, Aliens (yeah I don't see that one happening).

Which begs the question, why have some things from that era been created whilst others haven't?

I wonder if the owners of the copyright sometimes actively offer the opportunity to create merchandise under licence. This might explain why several toy/merchandising companies offer similar lines at the same time.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 21:50:08 »
It does seem random, the Dukes of Hazard has too much modern politics against it unfortunately which rules out one of the most iconic cars from that era. They could have had the General Lee, Daisy's jeep, a sheriff's car and the blue tow truck. I think CHiPs would do well but I've no idea how a franchise around an existing police department would work.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 06:51:37 »
I'm too young to judge the potential popularity of these, but I guess some of it would relate to their popularity in the core markets