Author Topic: 5884 Mermaid Ultra-Blister Pack  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
5884 Mermaid Ultra-Blister Pack
« on: December 29, 2009, 16:19:51 »
This is a review of one of the two new larger blister packs at target in the US right now.
Thread about the other is at http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=3896.0

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: 5884 Mermaid Ultra-Blister Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 16:25:40 »
This set is made out of parts from the Mermaid series sets 4813, 4814, 4816

The mermaid from 4813 and her accessories is a particularly nice one, one of the best mermaid paints so far.
It also has one of the new mermaid children plus a large seahorse and the white shell.

There isn't a support base for the coral. This is the same as in the 4800 mermaid series. It makes it trickier to do them. You can put them over the pins in the shell, or put one over the pin and connect the other on the top. It's also possible to put them at right angles as shown here. Look for round holes in the coral and try plugging in  one of the various pins that stick out. Not as nice as when you have a seafloor base to stand them on, but it works. The fish has a small hole on it's bottom that fits over the smaller pins on the coral, allowing it to "swim"
I just did a new set-up of my undersea scenes and have added these into the mermaid one. Pictures will be in the photos forum in the next couple of days. Just a note about the coral - it is different than the old coral in the plastic used, this is more glossy and it seems to be a tiny bit thicker.
When the coral is in the right orientation it's possible to put the seahorse on over one of the pins. With the set up I used here that wasn't possible, it works best when they are on a proper base and vertical.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 16:38:30 »
Hi Tim  :elf:

A very cute set indeed. I am not the biggest fan of all the ultra feminine sets but I just will have to get some of these for the collection anyways. Our new Sea Exploration-ists need something magical to discover at bath time. The only thing I wish Playmobil would have done different is the hinge of the large shell. Similar to some of the chests, after opening and closing them for years they tend to become fatigued and fall apart. I guess I will have to buy more and have backups.

Thanks for the review and great pictures
   Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

Edit: Tim I used your picture to share with Klickywelt, They were all curious as to what the new sets were and could not see them with out registering
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 17:03:34 by Rasputin »
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 19:50:40 »
i bet sylvia will love this set when she sees it.  :love:
thanks for the review tiermann.
  :wow:
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:08:11 »
Thank you for the review Tim, that is a nice looking set. Good Atlantis fodder. :D

Gepetto

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:49 »
Great review and nice set. I dont buy  the feminine sets but it looks very nice and in combination with all the other sea sets would make a fine addition. Looks like someone will build a undersea atlantis soon with all the roman pillars and walls and the poseidon and mermaid sets etc etc .... need to think to biy some of these i reckon to add to the ( currently) neglected pirates series. too much mediaval !  :P

lovely pictures too , thanks for the review.. :wow:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 23:05:03 »

Thanks for the great review, Tim ...

I flew into Fort Lauderdale last night and headed for Target today. They had one mermaid blister pack left ... which I quickly "scooped up" and purchased.

As you said, " ... one of the best mermaid paints so far." (I wonder if we'll ever see a Playmobil mermaid made with the new "bikini girl" body?)

I've been collecting Playmobil sets for an Atlantis theme and this one will be a nice addition.

I was hoping that Geobra would produce an Atlantis theme, but it appears that Lego has now beat them to it.

Thanks again, Tim ... And, all the best,
Richard

Offline reylocann

• Playmo Fanatic
  • One can never have too many cats!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:33:22 »
 :wave:  :wow:

Thanks for the review Tim - I actually purchased this set a couple of weekends ago at my local Target - I didn't realize it was a new release or I would have shared as well.  I would like to add one personal observation, if I may...  :lens:  I opened the set a few days ago because I am working on my first custom  :shhhh:  klicky and realized that the mermaid was just what I needed... >:D   The tail is really soft and it took very little effort to denude her of her fins  8-) .  Not having had any other mermaids in my collection,  I was a little surprised that it wasn't the normal "break the teeth of your xacto saw blade" density.  Are there other klickys or specific pieces that have the same malleability [aside from the greenery]  ???  I literally was able to bend the tips of her fins off with my hands and didn't need to break out the Dremel in order to fully remove her "feet".   :omg:  I'm certainly not complaining because it made my task easier but it seems rather unPlaymobilish...... :eh?:

Reylocann

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. - Plato