Author Topic: Playmobil invests £25m in injection moulding kit  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master

Offline el jefe

• Playmo Addict
Re: Playmobil invests £25m in injection moulding kit
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:22:58 »
New machines, more playmobil for the future.  Sounds good to me.
I gotta laugh at that the name of that sight.  Plastics and Rubber weekly.  It just oozes excitement.   :lol:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:11:17 »
Obviously they're getting things right in some customers' eyes.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 15:38:41 »
a 3,200 metric ton machine is over 7 million pounds. What kind of molding machine is that?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 18:24:15 »
Interesting
My guess on the large size would either be the big pieces like ship hulls, or multi-part ones that include some assembly like klickies.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 18:39:05 »
... I gotta laugh at that the name of that sight.  Plastics and Rubber weekly.  It just oozes excitement.   :lol:

... My guess on the large size would either be the big pieces ...

Somehow I suddenly had to think of huge Playmobil suits  :love: or  :-[ (you choose)

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 19:08:08 »
a 3,200 metric ton machine is over 7 million pounds. What kind of molding machine is that?

I would say that this is either a typo or they are using the European convention of commas where we Ammuricans would put a decimal point.  In other words, this may mean 3.200 metric tons or about 7,000 pounds.   :)

Now, having said that, I notice that it says between 6 and 3,200 metric tonnes, so why would the 6 come first as, in my explanation, it would be the larger number.  I don't know what to think, except that I cannot conceive of a machine that weighs 7 million pounds.   ???

In any case, this is a very interesting article, indeed - thanks, Wesley!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 19:13:24 by Indianna »
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 19:13:25 »
With so many added moulding machines, perhaps this means they will take older parts back into production again?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 21:32:00 »
The tonnage required in the injection moulding process depends on the area of the item being moulded and the nature of the material, sloe flow or high flow, so Tim is probably right, large items such as pirate ship hulls.

Note, too, that the article is not saying that Playmobil is buying an injection moulding machine of 3,200 tonnes, just that they use them, which implies they already have these, not that any of that investment is being spent on them. 

As regards Indianna's suggestion that the comma is being used as decimal point (as is the case in Continental Europe), I don't think this is the case as a decimal point is used in the usual way in the currency figures.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:53 »
Good to know that things are going well for the Company.
Who knows, maybe this increase in production capabilities might mean that the lines will eventually be released globally so the rest of the world won't have to wait for a year to get the latest assortments.

That or we won't have the problem of regular short sleeves instead of rolled-up sleeves like shown on the boxes because the mold is already over used.

Of course I'm an optimist :)