Author Topic: 3811 U.S. Cavalry  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
3811 U.S. Cavalry
« on: December 10, 2012, 20:55:22 »
I would like to make a short review of the 3811 U.S. Cavalry set. As you know, it is no longer in production and can almost only be found on eBay. But the numbers are low, and few are complete/MIB. Perhaps this set did not sell very well - but the reason for that beats me.

First a picture of the box' front side. We can basically see the whole set there - a cavalry platoon (squad) from the Union Army of the USA. The box was a bit smashed when I got it, but that did not matter. Klickies are mainly a toy, and therefor not meant to live their lives inside a blue box.  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 22:41:16 by Kvart »

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
Re: 3811 U.S. Cavalry
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 20:57:16 »
The backside of the box gives a clear idea of the set's content - four armed and mounted soldiers and a scout.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 22:41:52 by Kvart »

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 21:34:28 »
Wonderful set, I love it. :love: Thanks a lot for the pictures of the box.

George. <*)
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 21:45:10 »
The box art on the side of the box. The scout and a young soldier doing morning gymnastics. And the rest of the guys are cheering at them. While the officer seems to be stuck in a dead three... Or is he sleeping? The sergeant will wake him up with the bugle, and thus also blow away his own stripes  :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 22:43:12 by Kvart »

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 21:46:39 »
Thank you, George.

Here is a picture of the content of the box. All neatly packed in plastic, for our convenient  ::)

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 21:55:42 »
Behold: the klickies!

One officer whit beard and curly brown hair. One first sergeant with standard brown hair, one young trooper and a buffalo soldier. Finally the Indian scout, who has adapted the white man's way of dressing. All with boots.

I like the klickies, it is nice to see that so many as three soldiers have the same propper uniform. They are soldiers, not a group of bandits, and should dress accordingly. It wouldn't hurt if the officer also dressed as the enlisted men, but I guess the heavy responsibility of leading such a formidable squad as this burdens him beyond the ability to look smart in the uniform  ::)

Also, the klickies are of good quality, all have strong backs and arms. But the scout is a bit nervous, and turns his head for a gentle wind.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:26:52 by Morgan »

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 21:59:26 »
Nothing surprising with regards to the arms and equipment. The colours of the 5th cavalry regiment/squadron.

Four Winchesters, one feathered musket/shotgun for the scout, a bugle to sound the cavalry charge, and pistols for everyone.

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 22:05:03 »
The horses. not so much to say about them. They are the old type, and my favourite. All with strong necks. As you can see, four of them are sadled the standard western military way with saddlebag with holster for the rifle and a nice blanket. The scout's horse is simpler, as he probably prefer a lighter outfit. 

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 22:17:00 »
Here is a close up of the officer and the sergeant.

The sergeant seems to hold the rank of first sergeant. Unfortunately, all NCOs of this generation playmobil western sets are first sergeants. And there is a lot of them. The former cavalry set, 3485, at least had a corporal as well. But the corporal rank is reborn with the new western sets, I believe one is included in the new fort 5245. But still, playmobil is probably the only army in the world where the ratio sergeant:privates is 1:2.

The officer has an unknown rank, as this patch with diamond is based purely on playmobil's fantasy. I allways imagined the officer in 3485 to be captain, so I guess this new officer is captain or lieutenant.

It is nice to see that the colours are correct: blue and yellow. The 3485 used blue and red - and thus confusing my union officers, since red is the colour of the artillery while cavalry use yellow. 

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 22:18:12 »
I quite like those winchester rifles, my favorite kind yet I dont own any. Same for those saddles which have room to place a rifle in it.

It's such a wonderfull theme, western. There's sadly no room for a third theme for me.  :(

Great review, these kind of sets are wonderfull. At a friend's place they had the older version of this one.