Author Topic: 5136 Pirates with arsenal  (Read 8463 times)

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
Re: 5136 Pirates with arsenal
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 07:10:36 »
increasing cost and simplifying assembling...i hope geobra wont cast gloved hands someday  :lol:

i think they've already started to do this with the knights.....moulded-on armour instead of clip-on armour.  Harder to customize torsos too, esp pirates, since they no longer wear all their accessories, but rather have them painted on.  Less accessories to swap.  and if you want to use the torso for something else, you have to remove the tampo printing (paint).

I admit though, on some clickies i like their unique tampo prints and wouldn't want to remove them.  It does bug me though, that sometimes the difference between a pirate and a knight is simply what's painted on them, but they have otherwise the same body.  I prefer the distinction be made by the accessories they are WEARING (as oppossed to painted on or moulded-on.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 07:42:11 »
I actually like the bare feet on Klickies...
If I had more peasant folk I would own a lot more bare feeted klickies... ;)
If you all have grey trousers with bare feet,
Preferably with a smooth cuff line,
I would be willing to trade several regular grey pants with shoes. :)

I'll have to look...

I admit though, on some clickies i like their unique tampo prints and wouldn't want to remove them.  It does bug me though, that sometimes the difference between a pirate and a knight is simply what's painted on them, but they have otherwise the same body.  I prefer the distinction be made by the accessories they are WEARING (as oppossed to painted on or moulded-on.

I agree. But I hate those stupid looking space gloves on the knights. I mean, I like the gloves, for the space guys. I wish they would at least have grey hands as they used to.

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 09:43:04 »
Thank you kindl;y for hte review and reminding me that ...

I want this set !!! sets rather !!!!!!!!!!!

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

;D
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 08:25:59 »
i think they've already started to do this with the knights.....moulded-on armour instead of clip-on armour.  Harder to customize torsos too, esp pirates, since they no longer wear all their accessories, but rather have them painted on.  Less accessories to swap.  and if you want to use the torso for something else, you have to remove the tampo printing (paint).

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

well of is for $$$$$$$$$$$ suddenlty  :( :(
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 19:43:13 »
Thanks for the review   :)

I like the set a lot!  ;)
I don't like the Chinese's printed belt on top of his trousers; it looks like a metal-pin-belt from a punker or a rocker.  ;D But I do like the look of his feet.  ;D

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 22:53:02 »
the discussion of who did or did not wear shoes when has been split to here: http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=8988.0

Let's please try to stay on topic. :)
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 09:52:50 »
Yes, there were peoples of Chinese heritage in the Caribbean beginning in the mid 19th century when chinese laborers emmigrated to the Caribbean to work on sugar plantations.

From a piratical standpoint, Chinese pirates existed since the 13th century, sailing junks well on into the 19th century and beyond.  (Remember, China's mastery of the sea predates that of traditional western/british naval exploits which came to a head in the 17th century).

I suspect Playmobil's inclusion of chinese pirates in their pirate theme is an unspoken piggyback allusion to the current Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean lore.  In the movie series, chinese pirates (from Singapore) are seen interacting with what appears to be caribbean pirates and british naval/infantrymen of the 18th century.  However, the british presence in Singapore would not have happened until later in the 19th century, around the same time chinese laborers began emmigrating to the Caribbean.

The golden age of piracy stems from about mid 17th century to early 18th century.  Chinese pirates did exist at this time as well--but only in Asia.  And 18th century britishmen would not have been seen engaging with chinese pirates from Singapore until the 19th century, by which time the Golden Age of (western) Piracy would have been over.

So including chinese pirates alongside caribbean pirates would be inaccurate, historically.  But who's to say a stray chinese pirate/explorere/adventurer or two didnt somehow find their way accross the pacific (and around the horn) and end up drinking coconut juice on the lazy sandy shores of the Caribbean?  It could happen!  :D
Deckhands on any ship (pirate or other) would have to be barefoot for better footing on wet decks and for mitigating the rigging and footropes aloft (up in the masts and sails).  Plus they were probably too poor to afford shoes, which weren't practical aboard a pirateship anyway.

Thanks for the explanation. Still ... he does look like he's a 70s disco dancer.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 23:08:28 »
It's a nice little set that caught my eye and caused me to buy playmobil again after several years. Personly I quite like all three clickies. The fat guy seems like a good cannoneer to me, the asian guy seems like a plausible excuse to include a katana in the pirate line, and the third guy could be used as a civilian or sailor as well.

A good amount of items in the set too, although I would have prefered some gold, a basket or some camp equipment over the cannon. Great amount of weaponry compared to the amount of clickies, and I always like laying some weapons around for decoration on chests, in barrels or in weapon racks and still have enough to arm the clickies with.