Author Topic: If I were a boy 11 years old.......  (Read 5101 times)

Offline aleon

• Playmo Enthusiast
If I were a boy 11 years old.......
« on: October 16, 2008, 19:06:51 »
 I don't know if I can play with it  >:D

I have those 2 boxes and the years are not the same.... any idea why?

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
Re: If I were a boy 11 years old.......
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 19:37:49 »
lol

no

beats me
One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 20:29:56 »
Maybe Playmobil revised recommended agaes at some time.  Is there any sign which box was made first.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 22:20:03 »
Could they be for different markets ?
Say if one were for the UK were kids develop @ 10ish
and one for US where kids, well sometimes develop  :P
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 21:37:28 »
I'm never clear why they try to limit the upper age on Playmobil.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 22:08:55 »
I'm never clear why they try to limit the upper age on Playmobil.

It seems they don't consider collectors like us  ;)!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:47:53 »
Maybe it's supposed to be a hint from Playmobil that we aren't taking.

But seriously, the maximum age is pretty lame.  The limits, I suspect, were intended to assist in gift-giving...?
But, without providing standard deviation, how confident could a person be that a child pushing the upper age limit would find Playmobil appealing?

Question:
Why on the instructions that come with sets, under the "WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD - SMALL PARTS" blurb, does it read:

"Ne concerne que les USA"
Translation: "Not a concern except in the USA" (???)

Is that for the sake of Quebec, in which dual French and English statements are required, except, because the warning specifically addresses US law, therefore, it doesn't fall under Quebec's jurisdiction and can be left untranslated?

PS. Worse, I know people who actually need these warnings.  Only in America (?).  "No, you don't understand, my two year old is smarter than other kids and can handle it unsupervised."

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 14:28:59 »
Maybe it's supposed to be a hint from Playmobil that we aren't taking.

But seriously, the maximum age is pretty lame.  The limits, I suspect, were intended to assist in gift-giving...?
But, without providing standard deviation, how confident could a person be that a child pushing the upper age limit would find Playmobil appealing?

Question:
Why on the instructions that come with sets, under the "WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD - SMALL PARTS" blurb, does it read:
"Ne concerne que les USA"
Translation: "Not a concern except in the USA" (???)
Is that for the sake of Quebec, in which dual French and English statements are required, except, because the warning specifically addresses US law, therefore, it doesn't fall under Quebec's jurisdiction and can be left untranslated?
PS. Worse, I know people who actually need these warnings.  Only in America (?).  "No, you don't understand, my two year old is smarter than other kids and can handle it unsupervised."

Why do Mickey D's beverage cups say something like WARNING: CONTENTS MAYBE HOT now  ;)? Maybe they should have put,.............never mind we are talking about adults for that label aren't we, we won't go there, only in the US :lol:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 19:28:44 »

Not to worry my dear Playmofriends ...

Mr. Louis Marx (former owner of Marx Toys and Playmobil UK licensee) appeared to me in a dream last night. He asked me to please assure everyone that the label does not read from ages 3 to 9 (or 12), but the label actually reads 3 to the 12th power! (Louis said that they originally had it at 3 to the 9th power, but that he didn't think that was quite old enough.) ...  :klickygrin:

All the best,
Richard

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 04:22:53 »
Why do Mickey D's beverage cups say something like WARNING: CONTENTS MAYBE HOT now  ;)? Maybe they should have put,.............never mind we are talking about adults for that label aren't we, we won't go there, only in the US :lol:!

Heh, we joke about how Americans appear to lack common sense due to the plethora of pithy warnings--

But naturally the less humorous reality is that our tort system, over staffed and under-employed, capitalizes on any opportunity to file a lawsuit.  There are even law firms that file lots of penny-ante lawsuits from recruited clients because the likelihood of the defendant settling out of court (cheaper to pay than fight) amounts to easy money for the lawfirm.

But, yeah, the ubiquitous warnings, even if they actually are in place for legal protection, leave one feeling like one lives in a sheltered, domiciled environment.  I visited the ruins of a mughal sultan's fort near Aurangabad, India and was amazed how, completely unsupervised, I was at liberty to stand atop unbarricaded tower turrets and stare straight over the edge.  Then, of course, return to America where the 25 cent kiddy rides at the mall have seat belts...