Author Topic: Confusing descriptions in DS order  (Read 819 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Confusing descriptions in DS order
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:55:10 »
I ordered a big load of parts a few weeks ago. The order came, as usual, with sheets listing the parts, quantity, part numbers and costs. Seven of the items listed gave completely the wrong description in English on these lists, although the part numbers were correct and what I received was what I ordered (and the German names on Ersatzteile-Finden seem correct, apart from 30230730). Here they are:

30233080 is a caravan (camper) roof, but was listed as 'Teddy bear'
30238200 is a clip to join two rods, but was listed as 'Potty'
30237090 is a black pipe to connect a gas bottle, listed as 'man'
30230730 is a large storage tray for a fire engine, listed as 'arm cover'
30210540 is a socket for a flag, listed as 'saddle English'
30289140 is a door handle, listed as 'blue bird sitting'
30210550 is a System X clip, listed as 'saddle pad Indian'

Clearly some glitch in the system! I tried entering adjacent part numbers in Ersatzteile-Finden, but didn't come up with the wrong descriptions.
I thought this might be of interest to anyone else who receives parts from DS in Germany. I will send my list to Geobra.

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Confusing descriptions in DS order
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 12:13:15 »
It's something that has been going on for years.  It may be a database problem where there has been a change in either item number or item description and the links haven't been made properly. 

Edit:  I've just altered "yours" to "years".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 13:23:15 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:44:50 »
I have been making DS orders for years and never had this problem before. This is a 2% error rate.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 13:25:19 »
I've just altered "yours" in the first sentence of my original post to read "years", which is what it should have been.

I made my first DS order in 1997 and I've noticed these mismatches over the years, although maybe never to the extent you have on your latest order.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”