Author Topic: Kirkbean 2015 - the Island Railway  (Read 13011 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Kirkbean 2015 - the Island Railway
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 18:13:32 »
Thanks, Salamander.  Here are some more detailed photos of the layout, starting with the station area and goods yard.

First, a view of the goods yard showing the storage sheds which can be accessed from the harbour side or the railway side for loading and unloading purposes.  (The building just on the left hand side is the Old Smoke House, producers of smoked fish and sea food. You can see it more clearly in one of the very early general photos of the layout.)

The harbour is used by the local fishing boats to unload their catches:

and by local fish wholesalers:

and by the local Sea Angling Club:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 19:06:14 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 18:27:47 »
At the station itself, it's a busy day.  Here's an aerial view of the station in general:

Some of you will recognise the couple on the left from previous years, and now, there is a new member of the family on the way, maybe quite soon judging by the husband's concerned look:

The Island Railway is more than a means of transport for the people who live on the various islands - it is also a vital communication link in other ways.  Here, a member of the public collects mail from the station ticket office sent to him from one of the islands:

This looks a rather suspicious character:

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 18:33:54 »
Next to the ticket office is the station cafe, enjoying a busy day, too:

A Motorcycle Cruiser Club Rally is going to bring more business to the cafe, too:

The last building in the station area is the local garage, and this customer doesn't seem to be too happy about their standard of repair work!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 18:40:11 »
Finally this evening some scenes of the station during the day, as trains come and go.

First, the afternoon goods train passes through while the next passenger train waits to set off on its journey:

and then a non-stopping passenger train passing through:

Well, that's it (I can only take so much of Photobucket's clunking methods at a time).  Tomorrow, we'll have a look at some of the islands themselves; thanks for looking.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 18:47:57 »
Lots of great details there Gordon! That crane at the wharf is off an LGB car isn't it? I believe I have one of those. It looks quite right there, like the riverside cranes I've seen in places like Frankfurt or Hamburg.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 18:55:42 »
Lots of great details there Gordon! That crane at the wharf is off an LGB car isn't it? I believe I have one of those. It looks quite right there, like the riverside cranes I've seen in places like Frankfurt or Hamburg.

Thank you, Tim, and you're spot on abiut the crane, it is indeed off an LGB ToyTrain flat truck.  I did intend to fit it on a Playmobil flat truck as part of a permanent way train, but never got round to it this year.  It is just standing on a couple of LGB bridge piers, so I can still use it on the flat truck if I wish.  I may also try it on one of the high Playmobil station platforms some time.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 14:45:25 »
Well, here we go again with some more detail photos of the different areas.  Having already shown details of the station and harbour area, I'll work round clockwise as if you were riding on the train.  The route is:

Country Park

Island Farm

Holiday Island

Castle Station and Castle

and then some odds and ends.  There'll be a new post started for each destination. 

You'll notice that the stopping places are very simple, apart from the main station and Castle Station, just a pedestrian crossing place and, if you're lucky, a bench to sit on while waiting for the train.

So, it's all aboard with the first stop the Country Park.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 15:32:52 »
The Country Park

Here you can walk, cycle or climb (or just sit) surrounded by the woods, but within sight and sound of the sea.  There are two stopping points for the train in the Country Park, one at either end of the island.

Cycling is popular especially with families:

Mr Fox likes to keep his eye on visitors just in case there's a tasty tit-bit dropped; with the farm on a different island, the only way he gets any chicken is by way of an abandoned chicken sandwich!

The policeman assigned to the Country Park stops to chat with a visitor taking a rest:

Railways are dangerous places, so it's good to see these young cyclists know their safety drill - wait for an adult to cross with you:

For the best view, go to the top of the highest point:

And so we leave the Country Park by one of the two girder bridges on the railway, heading for...

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 18:39:51 »
Island Farm

Island Farm is a pastoral farm, that is, the farmer doesn't grow crops but raises animals, in this case cows, goats and sheep, plus a few pigs and chickens.

Here he is giving the sheep their early morning feed in the field.  You can see how the sheep have worn a path in the grass walking to the feeding area each day.

Meanwhile, his son, who has been chopping wood, is taking a break with a mug of tea, all unaware of the little drama taking place behind me:

Two of the cows are keen trainspotters, always by the fence when a train is due:

While the goats are playing their favourite game of "I'm the King of the Castle":

And it's feeding time for the pigs, too, although one of the piglets hasn't yet learned proper trough manners:

And from Island Farm, it's on to Holiday Island, where not everyone is as happy as they hoped they would be when on holiday, but I'm afraid other things have intervened and so this is something for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 20:48:28 by playmofire »

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 06:32:39 »
Many beautifull pictures, I really like that pregnant lady with her husband. They look so sweet together.