Author Topic: 4163 - Knight's Tournament Advent Calendar  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
4163 - Knight's Tournament Advent Calendar
« on: December 21, 2010, 13:28:47 »
Unfortunately I did not stick to my 'one item per day' advent calendar approach (see the general section of the forum). So I now have all the items out of their pigeonholes and the whole set on display:

This are the heroes of the set, I presume: the king, his son, and the knight. The little prince is a cute one, and comes complete with a mini-sceptre. The knight is one that - as far as I know - is not included in any of the other lion knight sets. I am not crazy about the torso armour (I hate those) or about the vac-shiny thing which I know will age badly, but at least the horse comes with a head-piece, which his friends in teh other sets do not have.

As I said in the other thread, I customised the king somewhat: it originally came with a black torso and white tunic/gold legs combo. That didn't make too much sense to me, so here's my version. Unfortunately the yellow from the 3666 nobleman is paler than the yellow used for the legs, but I am not picking any nits about that. That sword, I haven't seen any like them before. I dont like it: it's a bit too Masters of the Universe for my tastes.  ::)

This is my favourite piece from the set: the throne. I don't know if this is a first for PM, but now a be-cloaked figure can sit down properly without the need to remove the cloak. Clever.

This is the bad guy - I changed his legs too, because I did not like the original. Nothing much to say about him, really. The weapons stand was included - though they couldbve thrown in a couple of morning stars like in the old sets. There is also a wooden bench with cups and a jug to complete the set, but I can't seem to upload that particular picture.

I am sorry that my reviews always seem to be cobbled together in a rush - the reason being that they usually are  ;D Right now my wife is shouting from the kitchen because we have guests tonight, and Ive yet to fix the leaky bathroom tap  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 13:37:18 by Bolingbroke »
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: 4163 - Knight's Tournament Advent Calendar
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 13:59:47 »
Thanks for this great review Bolingbroke!!

Good thinking customising the king!!! He looks great!!! The sword is from the latest Dragonland series and can be found in may the theme sets, either in gold or silver!

The shiny armor I think will remain shiny...I have my 4434 - Silver Knight for sometime now, exposed in the light and various climate conditions, but not playing and touching, and the chrome is still in its original condition... Moreover I found a used knight like that at an ebay lot, and believe me for a used play-with knight the armor is great!

The throne first appeared in 4256 - King with Throne and it really is a great item to have and use in a throne room!!!

I also love the white own in this set and really looking forward to get my hands on the new shield with the now coat of arms depicting this owl!!!

As for the bad guy, Its great to have his helmet produced in dark grey!!! Thank you Playmobil!!! :wow: :wow: :wow: This gives us more options to customise a dark knight  ;)

All and all a really great set!!! Thanks again for the pics!!!

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 15:32:12 »
oh wow! this is going on my wish list!!! Really cool set!
What's the background like?
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 15:47:42 »
ah i didnt unfurl the background silly me. it's just castles and stuff, i think. im a bit disappointed the set doesnt come with those plastic 'divider' things for the jousting tournament, like other sets. id rather have had those than the bench and the owl, if truth be told.

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 16:30:43 »
Great review Bolingbroke. I must agree with most of what you said. It's a great set but some parts are a bit meh...I bought one for myself and gave my son one as well...he was very happy with it, although he is following the one per day routine!

The divider are there...just in paper instead of "real" playmo!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 16:35:28 »
Yeah. I must also add that the king comes with 'surprised' eyebrows - it's like he's just seen his mother in law coming in wearing a negligee, and with the hair he comes with it looks a bit silly. With this hair I gave him, you cant see the eyebrows.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 16:59:08 »
Yeah. I must also add that the king comes with 'surprised' eyebrows - it's like he's just seen his mother in law coming in wearing a negligee, and with the hair he comes with it looks a bit silly. With this hair I gave him, you cant see the eyebrows.

:lol: :lol:
which is the original hair? I do like this one...
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 17:12:56 »
'normal' 70s style hair. but white.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 18:11:23 »
I like yours better. This bear comes with it o you changed it also?

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 18:13:41 »
What bear?