Author Topic: Testing image sizes  (Read 3081 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Testing image sizes
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:16:57 »
Here is my original image, width 1000, height 667:

Here is the same image with size modified by adding "width=500 height=333" after "[img" at the start of the code
Like this...
img width=500 height=333]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a621/GrahamB2013/IMG_5000a_zpsofuagpnp.jpg[/img]
(I omitted [ at the start so the software treats this line as text)

Note- the width and height figures must stay in the same proportion as for the original picture, or it will come out distorted, like this (width 500, height 600)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:45:13 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
Re: Testing image sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:45:55 »
Very useful! Thanks :D
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:09:35 »
check

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:16:04 »
I took the liberty of using your pic, GrahamB ;)

You can specify the width only (that was my doubt), hence sparing you the need to figure out the proper height ;)

Code: [Select]
[img width=500]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a621/GrahamB2013/IMG_5000a_zpsofuagpnp.jpg[/img]

if you wrap the code with the  [ code ] tag (minus spaces), it doesn't get "interpreted"

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:49 »

You can specify the width only (that was my doubt), hence sparing you the need to figure out the proper height ;)

Great! Thanks, Tahra :) !

Maybe a Mod should stick a Topic like "Read this before posting images" in the Diorama Forum? Handy for new members :)
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 23:24:21 »
Maybe a Mod should stick a Topic like "Read this before posting images" in the Diorama Forum? Handy for new members :)

It's probably fine here for now (assuming people would come to this area of the forum for help on things like this). And I don't think this is a major issue, since people usually manage to post images at an appropriate size.

Also, there are several areas of the forum in which pictures are often posted. Posting a reminder thread in only one area would be awkward, and posting one in every area would be bothersome. <*)
~Pynedor~

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 22:24:27 »

[img width=500]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a621/GrahamB2013/IMG_5000a_zpsofuagpnp.jpg[/img]
if you wrap the code with the  [ code ] tag (minus spaces), it doesn't get "interpreted"

No problem, Tahra. Thanks for those two useful tips (1. width only needed, saves trying to work out what the height should be to keep it in proportion, 2. [ code ] tag).

Presumably it would be possible to create an image insertion 'button' on the Post Message/ Post Reply page which when clicked would come up with
[img width=500][/img] to remind everyone not to post images larger than this ? I think 500 or possibly 750 width is the right size so even on tablet computer screens you don't have to scroll pictures.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:45:02 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:46:45 »
No problem, Tahra. Thanks for those two useful tips (1. width only needed, saves trying to work out what the height should be to keep it in proportion, 2. [ code ] tag).

Presumably it would be possible to create an image insertion 'button' on the Post Reply page which when clicked would come up with
[img width=500][/img] to remind everyone not to post images larger than this ? I think 500 or possibly 750 width is the right size so even on tablet computer screens you don't have to scroll pictures.

If that button is a possibility, that would be a great addition! Thank you all for the great brainstorm :-) !