Author Topic: Looking for advice with 4052  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Eiree

• Playmo Pal
Looking for advice with 4052
« on: June 29, 2019, 00:16:37 »
Hi all lovely people,

we are complete dummies in trains and recently purchased a 4052 - it came to us on its own without any accessories. I have been reading as much info as I could find and from what I understand we need brass tracks and a transformer, and I guess this is not the full list.

Maybe someone could share their experience? I want to help the boys to set it up nicely and make them happy (myself too :) ). And are there any manuals available for this model? Happy to buy, just cannot find it anywhere.

thank you and have a nice day!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Looking for advice with 4052
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:00:51 »
That is a great locomotive you have bought.

You will need the brass track and a transformer/controller to run it.

I can send you the Playmobil sheet on it if you PM me yur email address.

I will probably have some parts missing, usually the doors for the tender and the drop plate for the tender (which sits between the tender and the loco cab).  They often have the smoke deflectors either side missing at the front of the boiler.

Missing parts can be found, but are usually horrendously expensive.

There's a link here about a 4052 I recently bought:

https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=16601.msg298837#msg298837
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 17:04:49 »
it came to us on its own without any accessories

Was genau meinst Du mit "Zubehör" / "accessories"? Das, was in der ursprünglichen Lokpackung mit drin war (Lokführer, Anbauteile...)? Oder das weitere Zubehör, um Bahn fahren zu können (Trafo, Gleise)? Um Dir richtig weiterhelfen zu können, wäre es hilfreich, mal zu sehen, was Du genau bekommen hast (so ein Photo wäre schick).

What exactly are you calling "accessories"? Parts originally enclosed in the box (Driver)? Or additional stuff to run the train (tracks, transformer...)? Knowing what exactly you've got would be great to give you proper help.

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline Eiree

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 21:27:18 »
Was genau meinst Du mit "Zubehör" / "accessories"? Das, was in der ursprünglichen Lokpackung mit drin war (Lokführer, Anbauteile...)? Oder das weitere Zubehör, um Bahn fahren zu können (Trafo, Gleise)? Um Dir richtig weiterhelfen zu können, wäre es hilfreich, mal zu sehen, was Du genau bekommen hast (so ein Photo wäre schick).

What exactly are you calling "accessories"? Parts originally enclosed in the box (Driver)? Or additional stuff to run the train (tracks, transformer...)? Knowing what exactly you've got would be great to give you proper help.

jj:

forgive the poor wording, I am a real dummie indeed

We have the actual loco + its tender + two straight brass tracks + a transformer on the pic attached. I have also purchased some curved tracks and they are still in transit. This is something I have never done before and would have no idea what I have to do apart from putting the tracking together and placing  the train on them  ??? ??? ???

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 00:39:47 »
Well, you've got enough to run the loco so long as you have the means to connect the transformer to the tracks. 

Playmobil produced their own connector with two wires, one red and one blue.  These ended in a piece which clipped to a rail between the sleepers.  The other end was just bare wires and these attached to the red and blue connectors on the transfomer (which is also the controller of course in this case). 

If you connect the red wire to the blue connector and the blue to the red, don't worry, you won't blow anything up, it will just mean that the train will run in the opposite direction to if you connected the wires red to red and blue to blue.

The black and white connectors on the transformer are used for powering such things as electric points and signals if you have them.  Do not run the train off them.

You turn the knob on the transformer to the left or right to make the loco go forwards or backwards.  Personally, I always connect the wires to the transformer so that turning the knob to the right makes the loco run forwards in an anti-clockwise direction.  The knob also controls the locos speed - the further you turn the knob, the faster the loco runs.

The loco may not run smoothly to start with, so check that the backs of the wheels where they touch the track are clean and shiny and similarly with the "skates" between the wheels.  The skates are bent up at each end - DO NOT STRAIGHTEN THEM!

For some idea of what rolling stock is available, this thread is useful:

https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=16943.0

None of these are items are still produced.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Eiree

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 02:25:37 »
Well, you've got enough to run the loco so long as you have the means to connect the transformer to the tracks. 

Playmobil produced their own connector with two wires, one red and one blue.  These ended in a piece which clipped to a rail between the sleepers.  The other end was just bare wires and these attached to the red and blue connectors on the transfomer (which is also the controller of course in this case). 

If you connect the red wire to the blue connector and the blue to the red, don't worry, you won't blow anything up, it will just mean that the train will run in the opposite direction to if you connected the wires red to red and blue to blue.

The black and white connectors on the transformer are used for powering such things as electric points and signals if you have them.  Do not run the train off them.

You turn the knob on the transformer to the left or right to make the loco go forwards or backwards.  Personally, I always connect the wires to the transformer so that turning the knob to the right makes the loco run forwards in an anti-clockwise direction.  The knob also controls the locos speed - the further you turn the knob, the faster the loco runs.

The loco may not run smoothly to start with, so check that the backs of the wheels where they touch the track are clean and shiny and similarly with the "skates" between the wheels.  The skates are bent up at each end - DO NOT STRAIGHTEN THEM!

For some idea of what rolling stock is available, this thread is useful:

https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=16943.0

None of these are items are still produced.

oh, thank you so much for such a detailed advice, HUGELY appreciated. I cannot wait for the tracks to come so we can run the beauty, I hope it works  :D

And that collection of the wagons is simply stunning, I don't think that it is possible to get them these days easily, especially in this condition. Lucky owner :)

I will do everything step by step according to your instructions and once it all works I would love to do a short video to share - we are setting up a whole room for a PMB village with stations, houses, mansions, carts, markets, shops, cafes and the Railway!

thank you again, I am super happy I have found this forum!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 13:09:46 by Eiree »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 21:12:08 »
Glad to be able to help.  Look forward to seeing things develop.

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 21:08:38 »
The loco may not run smoothly to start with, ...
Therefor you should run loco and tender seperately in the beginning. They both ought to have a motor, so two engines cogging angainst one another might cause the coupling frame between engine and tender to break.

Daher solltest Du Tender und Lok zunächst einzeln fahren lassen. Beide sind motorisiert, und wenn die Motoren gegeneinander ruckeln, könnte der Kupplungsbügel zwischen Lok und Tender brechen.

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)