Author Topic: 5913 Dragon Tower  (Read 7707 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
5913 Dragon Tower
« on: September 04, 2010, 19:57:53 »

Set 5913 is currently available from TRU in the US for $29.99

It's essentially a cut-down version of the 4836 Dragon's Dungeon set, but at $45 less it's obviously aimed at the tighter American pocket.

The Wizard is missing from this set, leaving the other three denizens (two human and one dragon) unchanged.

There is at least some attempt at internal bracing in the box, to prevent scratches and other damage that so often occurs during shipping.

There is a large new baseplate piece that the tower clips to, supported by three separate and different rock formations connected by the usual white clips underneath the baseplate. With just the one layer of supporting rocks the completed tower stands slightly shorter than the 4836 Dungeon, but with the option to connect further rocks underneath.

The doorway is now open, a new moulding for this set I think. There is a nice dragonhead above the door.

The assembled tower has the same rotating catapult on the top, with the same stickers to apply as in the 4836 set. The windowframes and torches are left out, but could easily be added via DS if they are ever in stock...

Surrounded by the other tower sets and a group of Dragons, the tower certainly fits neatly into the Dragonworld theme.

For $30 I don't think you can go far wrong with this set if you like the Dragonworld theme. It lacks the elaborate bases of the other towers, but substitutes an equally acceptable base which can easily be extended if desired. It is nice to have (at least) three opposing groups in a theme for the various alliances possible, and this tower provides that third faction with a base of operations.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: 5913 Dragon Tower
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 20:08:49 »
Wow  :o :o :o thats an interesting set Martin!! Thanks for the review!! Now I want one... Although it has the same parts as the other tower sets...
One question: Can a tower stand like that on such a rock formation? Meaning the rock is hollow...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 20:09:42 »
Thanks for the review, Martin! :)  The set seems like a good deal for $30.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 21:48:29 »
Thanks for the review, Martin! :) 30$ wow  :o :o :o :o :o that's a great deal
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 22:22:57 »
30 bucks is around 23 euro - considering that they have to haul whole containers of the stuff halfway across the world, PM is quite cheap in the USA, don't you think?
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 22:40:05 »
30 bucks is around 23 euro - considering that they have to haul whole containers of the stuff halfway across the world, PM is quite cheap in the USA, don't you think?

is it ?? i don't think so someone from us can tell us  ???
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 23:28:55 »
I don't remember this set! :o
But with it, I could do... :cloud9:
It really completes the series. :)
Thanks for showing us. :wave:
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 00:15:02 »

I think it's difficult to make that call based on a sample of one, which afaik isn't available outside North America.

It would certainly be interesting to build a database of comparative prices of various sets at original release, and see how they compare to an average exchange rate.

I know from my own travels and eventual move to the US that exchange rates can fluctuate wildly even within a couple of weeks, and that even a fraction of a cent can make a big difference if you're moving big money, but don't forget a lot of the costs relating to sales in the US are paid within the US, so this component of the final price does not translate into a loss of Euro-profit for Playmobil.

I would agree that this one set is very good value at $30  ;D

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:56:13 »
Nice review. I bought two of these this week.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 12:55:54 »
I think it's difficult to make that call based on a sample of one, which afaik isn't available outside North America.

It would certainly be interesting to build a database of comparative prices of various sets at original release, and see how they compare to an average exchange rate.

I know from my own travels and eventual move to the US that exchange rates can fluctuate wildly even within a couple of weeks, and that even a fraction of a cent can make a big difference if you're moving big money, but don't forget a lot of the costs relating to sales in the US are paid within the US, so this component of the final price does not translate into a loss of Euro-profit for Playmobil.

I would agree that this one set is very good value at $30  ;D

My claim was based on two, actually  ;D

This one, and the blisters which seem to be much more expensive in Europe. Still, I think 23 euro is a very good price for something like this. If I remember correctly (I threw away the box last week), the Roman siege tower was selling for around 19 euro from Malta, so yeah.

In the Benelux countries, prices are quite steep, considering they practically border Germany. For eg, the Spanish rowboat from Malta is selling for around 11 euro, while it was selling for more than 15 euro (again, I can't remember the exact price) from Amsterdam airport last week.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."