Author Topic: Cleaning playmobil with hydrogen peroxide [H2O2]  (Read 14716 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Cleaning playmobil with hydrogen peroxide [H2O2]
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 15:16:09 »
And here I thought the Bromine was where they dug male siblings out of the ground.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 15:25:46 by Macruran »
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 15:22:24 »
I think you may be right, Tahra. There is some evidence that yellowing happens even in the absence of direct sunlight, so heat is a good candidate. The yellowing is caused (I read) by the migration of Bromine atoms to the surface of the plastic, something which an increased temperature would almost certainly accelerate. (The Bromine is part of an additive used to reduce the flammability of the toys).

Right... will wait.... Thanks :)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 15:39:15 »
I was extremely happy with a very old 3771, which got shiny-white, as it should be:

Detail:

Apologies for digging up an old post, but wow!  That's a great result!  Since you did this has the yellowing begun to return any?

I know some people that've used this treatment on other collectible toys & dolls have found that over time the yellowing returns.   :'(

I have 2 x 3771 houses & 1 is fine but the other is very yellowed so I've been meaning to try this myself so it's great to see how nice your results were.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 16:48:23 »
On a very yellowed piece of Steck castle wall  I've recently soaked it for about 48 hours in a 20% domestic bleach solution successfully.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 20:48:07 »
I think the hydrogen peroxide is a better technique than bleach. I once over soaked with the bleach and ended up effecting the texture of the plastic surface, making it rougher. I haven't had that happen with the peroxide, but it does require sunny days.

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 09:21:24 »
Apologies for digging up an old post, but wow!  That's a great result!  Since you did this has the yellowing begun to return any?

I know some people that've used this treatment on other collectible toys & dolls have found that over time the yellowing returns.   :'(

I have 2 x 3771 houses & 1 is fine but the other is very yellowed so I've been meaning to try this myself so it's great to see how nice your results were.

Hi klickyklack! I still looks the same today, I am happy to say  :)
You're very lucky to have twice this beautiful house! I hope this post is helpful to you  :wave:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 18:00:45 »
Hi klickyklack! I still looks the same today, I am happy to say  :)
You're very lucky to have twice this beautiful house! I hope this post is helpful to you  :wave:

That's great to hear! Thanks so much for the info  :)  It really is a lovely little cottage!  I'll try the treatment later this year when we have more sunlight here.   I hope I get as good a result as you did!  :heart:

Offline Nora

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2020, 07:32:54 »
Many thanks to you, Luftgaengerin, for this great thread  :love:! I just bought a big lot of slightly yellowed Playmo over ebay-kleinanzeigen.de for a really good price and I will try your method, too. But first I need a big bag because one of the things is the upper part of a motor caravan  ;)

Stay well everyone and greetings from Nora  :wave:
It's not a trick, it's a pony!

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 19:55:51 »
Hi Nora! I'm sorry, I just saw your message now; you are very welcome! I wish you luck and lots of fun with your caravan!  :) I would like to see it, please feel free to write any results and/or any photos on this thread (or elsewhere in PF, of course)
 :wave:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 18:06:02 »
Excellent stuff ! Thanks so much for sharing !!! I have lots of parts that could do with such cleaning especially old Steck walls and old western fort walls (god these were lovely weren't they, back in the early 80s we loved building Western forts with them ...) as well some 10 old pirate ships !!! great stuff !!! absolutely great stuff !!!  :wave:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight: