Author Topic: The Playgyptian Pharaoh takes his army out for a stroll  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: The Playgyptian Pharaoh takes his army out for a stroll
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 02:11:55 »
It's a really nice theme that one.

Theme note: although all the klikets (that's klickies in Playgyptian) come from the first Egyptian theme, the pharaoh's chariot comes from the second one. I think it looks better - there's too much light blue on the first theme's chariot, it detracts from the pharaoh's war crown.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:32:54 »
I have both those chariots and just like the variation. I do prefer the earlier headdress though which is white instead of the newer one which is grey but again variation so that's good.

I think the pharaoh's chariot would have been as brightly coloured as possible with lots of gold though.

A bit of trivia, some of the pharaohs had pictures of enemy people painted on the top of their sandals so that everytime they wore their sandals they were standing on their enemies.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:22 »
Here's a colored picture of a pharaoh's chariot for comparison. I'm guessing the colors are roughly accurate, but who knows  :eh?::

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 07:54:06 »
I wonder if the person who painted the horse's manly bits was an official position or is that just for the wall art?

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 08:55:49 »
I think this picture is a modern (19th-early 20th century) rendition of a Ramesside temple wall relief. There all painting would have long been lost, meaning that the choice of colour is entirely that of the modern artist.

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 14:51:01 »
The crown is correct color, so we know it's not entirely abitrary. Indeed, compare this picture from a chest found in Tut's tomb:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 15:01:29 by Macruran »

Offline Pharaoh Ru

• Playmo Pal
  • Egyptologist/archaeologist
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 03:53:33 »
Very nice photo Macruran.  I have been to Egypt several times and out on the dessert you basically see exactly what you have portrayed in your photo: sand, clear blue sky.  The only time there is a variation in the scenery is if there is a monument or an odd palm tree or two.

As for the tombs, there are quite a few of them that in the 1990's still had their original colors of the wall scenes intact; of course  in varying degrees of intensity of color, but we can still see them today in close to their original hues.

I have traversed Egypt from the delta all the way down to Aswan.