Author Topic: Designing / Augmenting clothes--best practices?  (Read 7090 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Designing / Augmenting clothes--best practices?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 21:24:38 »
I've read a couple of books about The Princes in the Tower (Richard III's nephews) and the one I favour (can't recall the author at present) is somewhat scathing about Weir's selective use of sources, evidence and her conclusions. Not to suggest all her books are rubbish of course!

Weir believes that Richard III had an indirect hand in the murder of the princes.  Whereas the Richard III society seeks to exonerate him. 

Was your source a strong advocate of Richard's innocence?  In addition to the Richard III society, there are many popular writers who seek to build a name for themselves by building legends about the twins' secret survivals in France and North England.

Weir is flawed like any other biographer, but her critical attitude deserves respect.  I get the impression the area of Richard III is hotly contested by his advocates and his detractors.

-Tim

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 23:42:38 »
most od the reading i do timotheos,has to do with buildings (i am an architect) instead of people. :-[
nevertheless, i have found a collection of severall books describing uniforms, battles and buildings going form the egyptian empire to w.w.2.
they come from a publishing house called osprey. :)
here's an example form amazon.co.uk - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medieval-European-Armies-Men-at-Arms-50/dp/0850452457/ref=sr_1_14/202-7981020-2311869?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193700797&sr=1-14.
if you search using "osprey men at armas" you can find all of them. :love:
i hope this can help.
:)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 07:32:18 »

if you search using "osprey men at arms" you can find all of them. :love:
i hope this can help.[ :)

I got a bunch of those to research the Romans - they're very well illustrated and a good read.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 10:37:31 »
most od the reading i do timotheos,has to do with buildings (i am an architect) instead of people. :-[
nevertheless, i have found a collection of severall books describing uniforms, battles and buildings going form the egyptian empire to w.w.2.
they come from a publishing house called osprey. :)

Hi Cachalote, I like Osprey too.

Check out Peter Connolly's "The Ancient City".  He illustrates the major buildings and layout of ancient Athens and Rome.  He provides nice illustrations of the Roman collisseum and its underground mechanisms (good also for the Roman Gladiator Playmo theme!).  He also draws Roman apartment complexes (flats / islands).  Who would think that Romans, like us, lived in 5-story apartment buildings?

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 15:14:39 »
Sorry to go back on topic here  ;) but I am attaching a photo of my Bride of Frankenstein from last year.
A few things here that may be useful to you. The hair is made of steel wool, shaped and hot glued to the head with the white stripe painted on. The clothes are actual cloth that hangs well in this case but can be tricky to work with. It can be stiffened though with glue or other sizing. On the arms for the mummy look I have used strips of paper tape from my first aid kit.
I know others have used various colored strips of plastic tapes for doing striping. I would guess that technique might alos be adaptable for doing cut sleeves as on a jerkin.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 19:22:14 »
Hi Tim,

The bride looks really good.  I tried making a fabric tunic but the cloth, even though thin, was hard to make work without burying the klickie.

This looks good and I'll use it for inspiration.

-Tim