Author Topic: 2009 new knights  (Read 7224 times)

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
2009 new knights
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:31:29 »
some of the new knights (the specials) maintain the same box format.
others seem to come in a totally new re-designed box (no blue frame).
the take-along boxes /4774, 4775) are also new, i think.

4684, Schwertwächter, february

4689, Schwanenritter, july

4774, Mitnehm-Barbarenfeste, january

4775, Mitnehm-Drachenritterturm, january
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
Re: 2009 new knights
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:37:19 »
4807, Schwertkämpfer, january

4808, Bogenkämpfer, january

4809, Morgenstern-Kämpfer, january

4810, Doppelaxt-Kämpfer, january

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:43:03 »
4811, Anführer, january

4812, Katapult für Wolfsgespann, january

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:29:10 »

WOW! :o

These look really good! 8-)

I like the Swan Knight but it has been totally eclipsed by those "Wolf" Knights (or whatever they are known as). The tarnished effect on the bronze/gold armour is fantastic. I hope that it looks as impressive in real life as it does on those box pics.

Also very pleased with the new box design with edge to edge images on all sides.

Thanks for the close-up pics, cachalote. :)9

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:39:31 »
The 4807-4812 Wolf Knights are a kind of self-contained sub-theme, and I think they're great, I'm certainly going to be getting several of each when they reach the UK, which unfortunately isn't going to be in 2009.

These chaps are clearly intended to be individual personalities, and with just these (and someone to fight) I can see boys having a great time. My main concern is that it's all so combat-oriented with no signs of a life beyond battle. Because there are six in the set, and each comes with one part of the missile for the catapault, Playmobil seem to be aiming for a collectible theme, more than previously. The merfolk are the same.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 13:55:14 »
 :yup: i agree wit you sylvia, the new box design looks great.
i think this is the right way to "appela" to consumers - beautiful boxes instead of big ones (you always get disappointed when you open them).  :'(

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 14:12:57 »
I sure would like to see that armor up close  :lens: I have been disappointed too many times now to get over excited
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline mi-chi

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 19:21:46 »
Again - thanks for the great pictures. Some of the shields are quite nice looking. Unfortunately I am a little tired of knights, and knights, and even more knights why I find these "novelties" a little less than inspiring.I hope that, if there are more knights coming this fall there will be more than just
- one knight with mercenaries
- one knight with catapult/ canon
- one knight with this
- one knight with that
Cheers
Michael

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 20:43:34 »
Again - thanks for the great pictures. Some of the shields are quite nice looking. Unfortunately I am a little tired of knights, and knights, and even more knights why I find these "novelties" a little less than inspiring.I hope that, if there are more knights coming this fall there will be more than just
- one knight with mercenaries
- one knight with catapult/ canon
- one knight with this
- one knight with that

Hi Michael
Most of us serious medieval collectors are disappointed with the drift of Playmobil's "knights" theme.  You can still find some remnants available, like the knight family, which despite some people not liking the actual figures, represents a rural knight with his wife and two children.

But, yeah, much of the resources to make good medieval themes are fading, like with the vikings off-market.  I have a medieval winter scene that I need to clean up and photograph. 

You can still do a lot with medieval.  Unfortunately, you have to scrounge from other themes and have some access to recently discontinued sets.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:00:05 »
... Because there are six in the set, and each comes with one part of the missile for the catapault, Playmobil seem to be aiming for a collectible theme, more than previously. The merfolk are the same. 

Actually, they are - they are promoted with a remark "Sammle Spass" which transfers roughly to "fun to collect".
Besides; it isn't only the stones that need collecting; the wolves provide the musscle to pull the catapult. In the same way the large seahorses provide the pulling power for Neptunes' ride in the merfolk theme.

As to the demise of the medieval theme and only the knight theme (with just knights and more knights) remaining; I think that has been explained more then enough times. That's a marketing thing and unless we can change the buying habits of millions, I don't think it's going to change  :'(.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.