Author Topic: Steck Identification Guide  (Read 22488 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Steck Identification Guide
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:28:38 »
Very complete guide - thanks Wesley Myers!

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:43:51 »
Excellent guide!  I'm going to have to go check on mine.

Yes indeed!  I never noticed the differences at all.  For the most part, the new generation seems to be much improved over the older.  I am happy that they combine so well together (allowing for some color differences.)  Thanks so much Wesley.

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 12:49:45 »
Wow, thanks so much for this, Wesley! This is an excellent very thorough guide, to keep us all from being defrauded.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 17:50:30 »
BUmping this up hopefully to be stickied. I notice this is not complete. It is missing the dormer windows, the floor connectors, the balcony and various other parts. I think we should add to it until it is complete  with all Steck parts. Would be nice to include part numbers when known as well.

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 08:05:24 »
Don"t know how I missed this first time round.   :-[
Having just built Hogwarts I wondered why some. parts fitted better than others, now I know.  I'll check on them when I dismantle it tomorrow.
Thank you for such a thorough guide.
I'll try and take photos of any parts I have that may be different.
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 11:59:40 »
Fantastic job, Wesley! I'll work on figuring out some part numbers. I think in general the 'old-style' parts with the bumps are '30 02' parts, while the revised versions' numbers start with  '30 07'. My nomenclature in the Building - Castle category is a bit of a mess, and the Steck is mixed in with the other castle parts (although System X Castle is separated out) so there's another project for me.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 17:04:05 »
I wonder Heather if it might be possible to create some level of category on PlaymoDB to allow for a search for Steck? Since it appears in different themes it can be easy to miss potentially useful pieces.
Anyone seen Sir Pleamo lately? The listing he has in the 3D software was pretty comprehensive I think.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 12:12:08 »
The newer roof sections, going back at least to 3666 fit together slightly differently.
The originals have a triangular piece with a hole for an opposing peg to fit into. The peg is still there on the newer ones but the triangle has been reduced so that the hole is now a curve in the surface of what was the triangle.

Those longer supports on the 2x1 floors doubled as decoration so it's a shame they had to go. Then again, the amount of broken ones I've seen I can understand another reason why they are no longer a design feature.

I suspect the only parts not to have changed are the wooden rails and the breads. Possibly the doors and gate doors too, err and maybe the bar across the gate and the supports for that and probably the roof connectors and the stepped roof end.

The newer walls click together, those bumps aren't just to make the tabs thicker, they click together. The rails on the originals are higher and have squared edges whereas the newer ones are tapered at the front.

They changed the crenellations including redoing the gate with the new style, but the old style is still seen in the stepped roof end on either side. Speaking of which, I'm surprised they never made a window pane or cover to fit into the window of that piece.

One thing I've noticed, and this is not really steck, is that the new well doesn't fit the wooden frame very well. I've had a few of them now and they all had excess plastic in the grey stone part which I had to remove with a small chisel to seat the wood frame properly. As is it's impossible to get one side of the frame flush with the well.

Did the original steck only apply to the castle parts?

One last observation, why are the new bottleglass windows dark instead of being clear?