Author Topic: 4732 Conquistador special  (Read 12372 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: 4732 Conquistador special
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 01:29:41 »
according to some historians, Christopher Columbus was a redhead ....
Had to read that one again, I first read redneck instead of redhead   :lol:

Just bought my first 2 of this Conquistador special a few days ago. I like him, the striped clothes in particular.
But I also agree the morion-helmet would be much better suited for a Spanish Soldier from the late-15th or 16th century.

Though the helmet wouldn't be completely correct again, I believe this special resembles more an English soldier from the same era.
He could be f.e. one of Sir Francis Drake's soldiers, aboard the English (and/or Dutch-Flemish) vessels which were fighting off the Spanish Armada in 1588...

Soon this set will be released:
http://www.playmobil.de/on/demandware.store/Sites-BE-Site/nl_BE/Product-Show?pid=4893&cgid=Weihnachten
The clothing of the black guy is wonderful, he's just asking to be customized to a Spanish soldier!  :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:40:39 by hadoque »

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 17:38:38 »
I think this article is quite biased. Seems he was quite a hero and the victim of bad press.

But this site is a catholic encyclopedia.

The article is not biased.  It states that he strangled his first wife, was a threat to the state, etc.  If anything it is very unbiased because it merely reports the facts and does not give an opinion one way or the other.  As history is supposed to.

Maybe for the simple fact that it is unbiased that we, who are used to the VERY biased thing that is called "news" today it is hard to accept something that does not present an overt opinion one way or another.

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 18:42:52 »
Looking at this klicky again , he is growing into me i guess, do they have these in Greece Sir Wolf ???

i don't think so these only are available to germany and here we have the old ones  ??? ??? now that i see it again i like him , i woul'd by 20 of them if they come here
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 20:45:19 »
The article is not biased.  It states that he strangled his first wife, was a threat to the state, etc.  If anything it is very unbiased because it merely reports the facts and does not give an opinion one way or the other.  As history is supposed to.

Maybe for the simple fact that it is unbiased that we, who are used to the VERY biased thing that is called "news" today it is hard to accept something that does not present an overt opinion one way or another.

History is never unbiased. History is always colored by times and fashions of the day. It is constantly reinvented. For instance we describe the age of slavery totally different as compared to 50 years ago, and even then history was already a science.

Furthermore this site is catholic. Why would they make another encyclopedia? What is wrong with the others?

I have a deep suspicion for religions. All religions (do not be fooled by my avatar). Religions bring out the worst in people. The conquest of America is a good example of that. No offence and peace to you, it is just my opion.

Furthermore this article makes a lot of claims, stated of matter of factly, but unsubstanciated.

I quote: For the sake of policy, Cortés was, in general, far from cruel towards the Indians.

Compared to who and what? Atilla the hun was cruel. Today we would describe him as a genocist.

Please compare the article on wikipedia, which at least states different accounts and opions to compare for yourself.

Sure the aricle doesn't seem to give a lot of opionons, but that is only appearance. A lot is left out: the roll of the native peoples in the conqeust of Mexico, the effects of different European diseases and the social upheaval coming from that.

And there is this sentence:  The execution of Cuauhtemotzin on the journey to Honduras was another instance

That is a very colored description of what happened. The word execution is a link to an article about executions. It explains about due legal proces and capital ponishment.

In fact this man was interogated (tortured, as was the practice that day) and then hung, all of it taking place while traveling through the jungle. Would you call that execution? Even his comtempories thought there was no evidence to find this man guilty of a plot to kill Cortes.

I started my earlier reply with "I think..." It was only my opion.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 21:38:59 »

Sorry to interrupt this very interesting discussion, but I think I should draw everyone's attention to point 6 of the guidelines.

6. Posts that contain racial, ethnic, religious, sexist, sexual or sexual innuendo, or any other discriminatory or inflammatory content will be deleted without exception. Such posts do not show respect (see Item #1), and those who post them risk suspension from PlaymoFriends.

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?action=rules

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 21:53:50 »
Oops. This is about my remark about religions, right? Do you want me to edit it out?
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 00:29:47 »
And there is this sentence:  The execution of Cuauhtemotzin on the journey to Honduras was another instance

That is a very colored description of what happened. The word execution is a link to an article about executions. It explains about due legal proces and capital ponishment.

In fact this man was interrogated (tortured, as was the practice that day) and then hung, all of it taking place while traveling through the jungle. Would you call that execution? Even his comtempories thought there was no evidence to find this man guilty of a plot to kill Cortes.

Innocent people can, and have, been executed. I'd call this an execution. They hanged him and they didn't have to.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 02:11:48 »
Hello

Sorry to jump into this with out really reading everything but please tone it down people  :wow:

This is about playmobil, the sets and what they are lacking or not, so please stay on track. There are plenty of other sites to argue about the specifics of historical figures or do it in PM's THanks  :love:

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 07:10:29 »
Well I also got one of these yesterday and I like it. Thanks for the review Ali Baba!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2010, 20:31:23 »
Hopefully it will be available in Canada next year.

What would be really sweet would be a Spanish Galleon!!! 

Yeah, you could paint up a pirate ship and use that, but I would rather see a whole new design - one that more resembles a traditional image of a galleon with a higher aft.