Author Topic: Server Error Message  (Read 8211 times)

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Server Error Message
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 07:43:18 »

Received this reply from Dreamhost last night...

I apologize for the problem, it looks like your website is over utilizing
it's fair share of memory.

2008-09-25 12:21:07   kill 27720     playmo php.cgi "Process
puts user over total memory limit"
2008-09-25 12:26:53   kill  3802     playmo php.cgi "Process
2008-09-25 12:42:35   kill 25858     playmo php.cgi "Process

It looks like your sites may have outgrown the shared hosting environment
and it may be time to upgrade to a Private Server (
http://www.dreamhostps.com ). You may also want to check out our wiki
page on finding the sources of heavy usage here
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Finding_Causes_of_Heavy_Usage

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks!
Robert R

Switching to a private server is easy - just a matter of hitting a button on the web panel.

The only real change will be the higher cost, although I'm not sure exactly how much higher it will be. That all depends on how much extra memory the site requires.

I estimate there is currently enough money in the PlaymoFriends PayPal account from membership fees to pay for at least a year's worth of hosting, maybe slightly longer.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 13:31:14 »
Sylvia, I hope you will let us know if more funds are needed!   :yup:

Personally, I am happy to make a contribution knowing that it keeps Playmofriends running well and, hopefully, ad-free if that is possible.    :)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 13:36:08 »
Sylvia, I hope you will let us know if more funds are needed!   :yup:

Personally, I am happy to make a contribution knowing that it keeps Playmofriends running well and, hopefully, ad-free if that is possible.    :)

Ditto.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 14:49:04 »
Hear, hear!

Gepetto

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 08:09:59 »
ditto with a star  ;D
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 09:32:52 »
Dito: let me know if any support is required.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 11:06:42 »

Anne, Gordon, Steve, Mark & Jochen ~
Thank you very much for the offers of support!  :love:
I don't think I'll need to take you up on them in the immediate future, but I am very grateful that you are willing to lend a hand.

PF is still attracting new members at a reasonably high rate; the 2008 average is around 15 per month. The difficulty, of course, is finding those who are also willing to pay the joining fee. ;) The general stats don't reflect this accurately. They do show the number of new accounts being created each month, but a large proportion of those accounts get deleted if the person hasn't bothered to answer the registration questions or if they don't respond to the polite email (plus a reminder one week later) requesting payment. :-\

I have thought about raising the membership fee slightly, but the US dollar has weakened considerably since the forum launched and the US members have all experienced a gradual increase in the cost of joining as a result. The converted membership fee was around $6.00 in November 2005 while it is now closer to $7.30. (This is the gross figure only since PayPal takes between 75-80 US cents in fees for each payment received.)

Perhaps it would be helpful if I make up a graph or chart showing the forum's income and expenditure (once I have an exact figure, that is ;)). I could update it regularly (monthly perhaps?) and this would give all members the opportunity to see at a glance if the fund was starting to get too low to meet the hosting costs.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 16:03:30 »
Sylvia,

While I appreciate your willingness to post income and expenditure figures on an ongoing basis I feel it to be an unnecessary use of your time. If you feel more funds are required I think a post to that effect would suffice, I for one would not doubt the need if you say it is there.

I would rather see your time used on Klicky cards and photos then administrative minutiae.

Steve

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 16:29:51 »
Sylvia,

While I appreciate your willingness to post income and expenditure figures on an ongoing basis I feel it to be an unnecessary use of your time. If you feel more funds are required I think a post to that effect would suffice, I for one would not doubt the need if you say it is there.

I would rather see your time used on Klicky cards and photos then administrative minutiae.

Steve

I agree. Even if we had to pay a year (semester, monthly) fee, so as to pay somebody to help you/do it for you!

(However people here won't like my idea, in general ... :0 )

Playmofriends is worthed paying!

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 17:01:07 »

. . . While I appreciate your willingness to post income and expenditure figures on an ongoing basis I feel it to be an unnecessary use of your time. If you feel more funds are required I think a post to that effect would suffice, I for one would not doubt the need if you say it is there. . .

Playmofriends is worthed paying!

Sylvia, I totally agree with Steve and Gus  :yup:  - I don't think we need to see an accounting of things - it is your website and you are obviously not making any money off of it!  Just let us know if and when there is a need and we will answer your call. 
- Anne

U.S.A.      Massachusetts