Author Topic: does the new pirate ship need this to float?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Playmo_80

• Playmo Lover
Re: does the new pirate ship need this to float?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 20:01:12 »
The older pirate ships came with metal bars in the bottom so they don't tip - new ones don't. That's why they need the ballast weight.

right, but it also came with a polystyrene part to insert at the front of the boat. On the instruction about this polystyrene you can read "this buoyancy insert make your pirate ship unsinkable"
Like electricity, Playmobil are essential for humanity

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 00:24:17 »
right, but it also came with a polystyrene part to insert at the front of the boat. On the instruction about this polystyrene you can read "this buoyancy insert make your pirate ship unsinkable"

It might not "sink" to the bottom of the pond, but it will still fill with water and go under and capsize.

I can't recall off the top of my head if the newest ones still use foam.  I think so, but I couldn't swear to it and I'm not near any of them. 

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 05:00:31 »
It might not "sink" to the bottom of the pond, but it will still fill with water and go under and capsize.

I can't recall off the top of my head if the newest ones still use foam.  I think so, but I couldn't swear to it and I'm not near any of them. 

yeah, the foam just prevents it from sinking to the bottom, but it will capsize and sink about 4-fifths submerged under water.  On the 3050 style ships, including the later models (skull pirate ship and blackbeard's ship), they all come with styrofoam in the bow of the ship.  When it capsizes, all but the bow sinks beneath the water, leaving the bow sticking upwards towards the sky.  On the old 3940 ship (same hull as the new 5135) there is foam at the very bottom below the gundeck.  When it capsizes, the ship turns completely upside down, masts pointing downward to the sea floor, and the bottom of the hull floating upside down facing the sky.

The 4290 has foam too inside, and the gunboats (like 4444) even have some foam in the stern.  When the gunboats sink, all but the stern gets submerged.  The 4290 flips upside down like the 3940.

prevent capsizing AND sinking at all, I've found that filling the ENTIRE hull with foam PLUS adding EXTRA ballast takes care of that.

I hope the fact that the 5135 comes with no ballast is an indicator that they somehow improved its stability and made it not just sink-proof, but capsize-proof as well. Anyone know how she handles yet?
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!