Author Topic: Hello from Ottawa, Canada  (Read 6078 times)

Offline portside3seat

• Playmo Pal
Hello from Ottawa, Canada
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:35:11 »
Hello from Ottawa, Canada.  I never had much playmobil as a child but since seeing the Victorian Wedding couple for sale at a petrol station on my honeymoon in France 8 years ago, and then the creche set with wise men, I have been hooked.  And now that my children (2 girls, obviously from the sets I keep buying) are old enough for playmobil, I can buy more! All of the stuff I buy is accessible to my kids and I love buying from the direct service to enhance the sets I have bought (extra reindeer for santa's sleigh and extra camels for the other two wise men and lots of extra sheep for the shepherds 'abiding in the fields' plus those errant 5 dwarfs for Snow White).  I love the underwater motor for the boats and I am currently hunting for the little sailboat (not the catamaran).

I was in Stowe Vermont last week and found 2 more sets of the discontinued Victorian Wedding at a toy store (the wedding coach with horses and the wedding dinner party set with cake and super long table with 8 chairs).  Two really good set with lots of pieces for good (original I think) prices.... but ALAS the pieces reek of molding (?) paper boxes kept in a questionable location for years.  I threw out the boxes immediately but I still need to clean the pieces.

I have been lurking here for about a year and thought I should join in the fun.  I am so exicted about the fairy theme coming to North America.  And I just loved the Cinderella and Snow White sets (although, I think the set should come with all 7 dwarfs).

By the way the store (on the main highway going up to Stowe to the ski hill on the 100, just past the Rusty Nail near Gracie's) had more old Victorian sets, some of the circus sets as well and some 'Robin Hood' looking stuff, all super old (and probably smelly as well)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:52:42 by portside3seat »

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
Re: Hello from Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:59:58 »
Greetings Portside3seat and welcome,

Nothing like stumbling onto some old discontinued sets at original prices to stoke the fires!
I thought I had lurked in the shadows for a while! I am sure you will feel welcome and enjoy the help and enthusiasm of everyone here.

I hope you are able to remove the smell from your pieces successfully and continue building a legacy for your girls (of course!).

Gepetto

Offline Janice

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 17:06:21 »
Hi and welcome,
I'm a new member also and I play with all my toys, so I guess I would not be considered a serious collector.  My husband, on the other hand, thinks I'm a very serious collector.  His pocket book feels the pinch all the time.  He asked me yesterday if I wanted flowers for Valentine's day and I looked at him and he said " I should have known it would be playmobil".
It is nice to know that other adults who are hooked on playmobil play with their children with it.  I have to admit there are certain pieces that make me hover and grit my teeth as I watch my grandchildren tear apart and rearrange our sets!

I'm glad you had luck in finding those sets, it seems harder and harder to find things locally.  I've been doing lots of on-line shopping and had some luck, however, I also have had an order in for over a month and they still don't have the product to ship.  I guess we all have to have patience when it comes to acquiring our toys.
anyway welcome and hope to hear more about you and your little girls playing with the wedding scenes.
Janice

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 19:50:52 »
Welcome from the UK, portside3seat,  :wave:.

And Janice, if you don't play with your Playmobil, it all crumbles away!  If portside3seat hadn't stumbled on those smelly boxes, in a few weeks time....just grey dust!   ;D
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 22:20:47 »
Welcome to the forum, Portside3seat.

I must admit that I let my kids play with some sets as well - allthough as soon as items from a set becomes un-orderable from DS, I remove them from play  ;D I am trying to get them or keep them complete ...

Still, I do agree with Gordon - these sets are toys and are meant to be played with - no matter what the age of the player  ;)

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:08:20 »

Welcome to Playmofriends from the warm and beautiful United States Virgin Islands :wave:

Offline core

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:02:26 »
Another welcome!  My 'excuse' for more Playmobil is my 2 boys (4+ and 8)  ;D  It's always great fun spending time with the kids and Playmobil - so far not really any sets/pieces that are off-limits to them (my 4.5yr does require a little more supervision though), perhaps only some of the older chrome-plated Medieval items.

:wave:
Peter

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:50:10 »

Hello and welcome to PlaymoFriends! :wave:

So pleased you have decided to join us and share the fun! :)

You were very lucky to find those retired Victorian sets! I remember the excited feeling of discovering some Playmobil you never expected to see because it had been a long time retired. It's like stumbling across buried treasure. :arrr:

It has been quite a few years since I started collecting, but I scoured all the toyshops, big and small, in my area and within about 100 miles radius until there were no old Playmo sets left to find in the north of Scotland. ;D

I even found an old Magic set (#3897 Magic Tree) while on holiday in the Orkney Isles a few years ago. 8-)

I hope that the mouldy smell on the plastic doesn't last too long. The best solution I can recommend is to get all of the parts out of their boxes (as you've already done) and play with them! :D The smell should fade with time. Other than that, some people say that washing in a dishwasher on a gentle cycle is good for cleaning the plastic, so perhaps it would also help remove unwanted odours.

Hope to hear a lot more about you and your girls.  :)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 15:33:55 »
Welcome Portside!

I occasionally have to wash Playmobil if it comes from a smoky home - I hand wash in the kitchen sink with regular detergent, being sure to dry thoroughly afterwards. The klickies need a shake to get the water out from inside.

Leaving a piece outside in the fresh air also helps remove irksome smells.

Finding an old desireable set at a bargain price is a Playmocollector's dream! The Victorian sets are particularly prized finds, or the Medieval houses.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 18:22:56 »
Be welcome from the South of Germany  :wave: