Poll

How many people could make it to an East Coast event this coming September?

Yes, Definitely
I'd like to, Maybe
Unlikely
I don't see how

Author Topic: East Coast USA Playmo Event  (Read 7834 times)

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
Re: East Coast USA Playmo Event
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 18:57:10 »
Now that I think about it, you are right in that the library would probably not allow anything to be sold in it. :-\
We could go the hotel route, but would a hotel room work? ???
To me it seems like it could be a little crowded,
(and you are right, the library rooms are not huge, but I think if we got 2 of them together we would have a decent room)
and there is another problem with the hotel idea.
It doesn't seem very "open" like anyone off the street could come in and see our dioramas.
The library is perfect in that aspect.
WoT: I agree.
What town do you favor in NC? Once that is settled, one of us can look into the library room availability.
BTW I go to Chapel Hill once or twice a month and love the place. But hotel rates are high there depending on what is happening at UNC, where our kids are.
Lego used to have LegoPaloosa in Morehead Planetarium on campus, and it worked out very well, but the management has just changed and no longer will allow events like that. I displayed a house in the last one a few months ago, and it was a great location that drew a lot of folks.
That could be a good town for doing this if you can avoid UNC events that turn the roads into gridlock for most of the weekend days and if you can find a place that allows you to set up the day before....both are big ifsssss.
Which toy store do you like in Chapel Hill? I know the folks at Science Safari in Cary off Kildaire Farm Road.
Cheers, Pgal :wave: :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 20:06:23 »
Can i come, a great excuse to fly to the US a bit !!!!  :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 20:07:41 »
All playmofriends welcome! ;D
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 21:44:26 »
I was actually thinking of Cameron Village library,
with their two upstairs rooms there could be 3 or 4 several decent sized dioramas.
And it is in the center of Raleigh, also nearby a Campus.

There is this place... I am not sure where is Chapel Hill it is exactly,
but it has a Cat Logo or Cat in its name... or something to do with cats. :P
It has a nice selection of Playmobil.

OMG! I know Science Safari, the very same one! :o
Those were the people I was gonna invite to the event. ;D
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 23:38:53 »
WoT:
The Lego Club meets once a month or so in one of the Cameron Village Library upstairs rooms that you mentioned. I doubt that they would let you have one room for more than 2 hours because their schedule is packed with so many groups trying to get rooms. And selling anything and parking there would be a major hassle. But it does have an ideal location in the middle of Raleigh.
The Eva Duncan Library in Cary may be a better location because it has more parking and less congestion not being in a shopping center like the one at Cameron Village. But the rooms are still heavily booked. Our neighborhood association meets there one night next week, and I can check out their schedule.
The Carrboro store Ali Cat is the one you must have visited. I have not checked that one out yet, but will.
Yup, Science Safari is a great store offering science classes to thousands of kids in our area. Our sons loved them between 6-10 years old. I was in there yesterday for the first time in about 10 years, and they do carry a full line of PM. Picked up some specials I was going to buy online; happy to find them nearby.
The manager will save some of the cardboard PM display signs for us; we can use them outside a building to promote a show inside when we get to that point. She usually throws them away.
Also she said they collect offsite some of the displays (without boxes I think that PM gives them) because they do not have room for them in the store. Every couple of years they hold an auction for a charity and sell them off. Maybe we could talk her into donating some of them to our show.
Our Learning Express is down the road another mile or two, and has the typical franchise look. The only things I bought there were 5 more of the Lego collectibles...Set 4. The red kimono lady is astoundingly gorgeous.
I can check with the Town of Cary to see about any meeting rooms they may have. Can you check with the City of Raleigh?
The Courtyard in Cary offers rooms for about $60. a night in late Sept, and if the rooms are not busy, might throw in the use of their two adjacent meeting rooms about 20 by 20 feet each holding 12 five foot rectangular tables. Unfortunately there is no door between the two rooms, but at least they are adjacent. Evidently this is the floor plan in most Courtyards.
Hope this info helps. It will be tough drawing much of an audience except for the foreigners, who probably will know much more about Playmobil than most Americans. We could invite the foreign clubs like the Dutch Club and maybe a few others that have more experience with PM. Maybe Science Safara would help us promote it and give the attendees a discount during the show.
That's my two cents worth! Phew!
Cheers, Pgal :wave: :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:14 »
Ali Cat is the store, thanks.
It usually has quite a few older items on sale.

You have talked with the manager at Science Safari?
Cool, those signs will be great for the event.

Unfortunately I do not have time to read your post thoroughly,
but I will try to look into it more tomorrow. :wave:
Steck is BACK! <:>