Author Topic: Photos at Endcliffe Park  (Read 1383 times)

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
Photos at Endcliffe Park
« on: May 20, 2013, 21:20:39 »
Hello I took some photos ages ago which I haven't uploaded, I had an appointment late in the afternoon and on my way back home I decided to take an unplanned detour through a place called Endlciffe Park which isn't far from the Botanical Gardens in Shefffield which in turn are both a fairly short walk from our house. Anyway it's a place where we sued to visit quite often when I was a kid as my parents were keen walkers and it was somewhere we could easily travel to and do a short walk as kids taking in the parks, woods, an old water wheel used to power the grinding wheels for creating Sheffield Steel (I think at least  :eh?:), feedign the ducks, playing on the playground and a nice picnic along the way didn't go amiss. It's been absolutely years since I've walked through the place what with having the gardens nearby and it reminded me how nice it was to have a big wide untamed  open space really enjoyed seeing all the people and kids in particular enjoying the open space and typically got me looking a the waterways thinking how I'd love to go down and spend the day clearing all the brash and litter out of the water  :-[ well some things never change  ;D Anyway sorry about that getting rather distracted I know, I should go back and take some photos of the park itself but, for the minute here's some photos of an intersting scuplture we found

"What knobbly human like fingers you've got Mr Frog"

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
Re: Photos at Endcliffe Park
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 21:21:27 »
"Wow it sure makes you feel dizzy being up this high"  :o

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37:06 »
:love: :love:  The reading frog is amazing!

Thanks for the pics!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 16:52:43 »
Hey- I know Endcliffe Park! See the houses in the background of the second picture- I lived in the second one going left from the green sign- number 81 Rustlings Road- from 1965 to 1976! Small world! Your words reminded me what a great place it was to grow up. There was no giant frog there in my day (and no Klickies in my world then either!).
The valley where this park is situated has several mill ponds fed by the River Porter; these supplied water to power water wheels (Shepherd Wheel is still there) which in turn span the grindstones used to sharpen knives- the knife blanks were forged elsewhere. Knife grinding was a dangerous occupation- grinders often died of silicosis from the dust, or were sometimes crushed when a spinning grindstone split. Old grindstones are to be found in the River Porter and elsewhere in the area (e.g. Padley Gorge where they were quarried from the Millstone Grit). This might be a good subject for a diorama! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTXjp2bf1vo
Enough off-topic babble from me!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 17:55:28 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 18:28:05 »
Very interesting, great sculpture

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 20:26:44 »
:love: :love:  The reading frog is amazing!

Thanks for the pics!

Thanks it's certainly a very nice sculptur
Hey- I know Endcliffe Park! See the houses in the background of the second picture- I lived in the second one going left from the green sign- number 81 Rustlings Road- from 1965 to 1976! Small world! Your words reminded me what a great place it was to grow up. There was no giant frog there in my day (and no Klickies in my world then either!).
The valley where this park is situated has several mill ponds fed by the River Porter; these supplied water to power water wheels (Shepherd Wheel is still there) which in turn span the grindstones used to sharpen knives- the knife blanks were forged elsewhere. Knife grinding was a dangerous occupation- grinders often died of silicosis from the dust, or were sometimes crushed when a spinning grindstone split. Old grindstones are to be found in the River Porter and elsewhere in the area (e.g. Padley Gorge where they were quarried from the Millstone Grit). This might be a good subject for a diorama! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTXjp2bf1vo
Enough off-topic babble from me!
e

Small world indeed well I never in that case you might know where I mean when I say that I live up the hill in Crosspool. I did actually do history for one of my GCSE's including a module about Sheffield history milling and such like which included a visit to Sheffield Wheel but, that was a few years back and I couldn't be bothered to look through my notes for what I was typing  :-[ I'm sure we did a play in school about the Sheffield Steelers and the floods as well, you're right I can just imagine loads of Victorian Klicky men and women with little grinding stones holding up their knifes and forks proudly would make for an intersting settup or at least some photos of the mill. Thanks for sharing your memories it was a real pleasure to hear from someone else who knows the area well and has such good memories  :)  :wave: 

Very interesting, great sculpture

Thanks mate glad you like it  :)