Author Topic: My Egyptians have arrived  (Read 7120 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: My Egyptians have arrived
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 21:08:59 »
Hey Tim just go ask these guys what is the easiest way to carry stuff  :lol:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2ce_1227473490
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 22:10:57 »
Hey Tim just go ask these guys what is the easiest way to carry stuff  :lol:

:o

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 01:18:54 »
@My dear brother Timothy ...
The School of Physics at the University of South Wales says,
"Carrying a load on the head is efficient, as the weight is taken straight downwards. There is no tilting force on the spine since the center of mass lies on the spinal axis."

It must require proper padding or support.

I once had to carry a 70 pound suitcase.  It was too heavy to carry on my hip or in front of me, so I tried positioning the load on my head (remembering similar photos of the technique) with my hands balancing the container at the sides.

It really was uncomfortable against the center top of my skull and walking was difficult because the load, like a top-heavy bookshelf, cantered forward and back.

I'm certain the ladies (and brick wallah in Bangladesh) grew up carrying loads like that and probably had conditioned heads as a result.

From my experience, the backpack braced against the hips makes for easiest carrying of heavy loads with the bulk of the weight supported by the legs.

Though admittedly a fellow sweats like a big.  A 70-pound backpack is the thermal equivalent of a parka.*

* In the military, I had to ruck several miles under an antenna-laden back pack weighing between 70-80 pounds, heavy enough that one needed to roll into it from a seated position then tumble forward and struggle to stand up.  My buddy and I also rucked heavy packs through India that were about as heavy.**

** Why do I love throwing info like that out whenever I have an audience?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 01:39:18 »

"Brother," Timmy ...

It really was uncomfortable against the center top of my skull and walking was difficult because the load, like a top-heavy bookshelf, cantered forward and back.

Your "cantering" description suggests that you never went to modeling school. Which may mean that you bounce like a camel when you walk.

Even though I only quoted the Australian reference, ALL of the research that I did strongly indicated that carrying a heavy load on one's head had the lowest risk of spinal injury.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 11:34:52 »
Certainly some form of head-padding would make the experience less painful. My skull comes to a distinct front-to-back ridge, and being bald I don't have much padding.

A back pack always makes you lean forward to balance, while a weight on top of the head, as Richard says, transfers the force straight down the spine, but it's harder to balance, so maybe that method is favoured in desert areas where surfaces are flatter and there's less to trip over.

Thanks for the picture Richard!

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 19:53:44 »
A back pack always makes you lean forward to balance, while a weight on top of the head, as Richard says, transfers the force straight down the spine, but it's harder to balance, so maybe that method is favoured in desert areas where surfaces are flatter and there's less to trip over.

It may be a life-training thing--deserts aren't necessarily flat (desert in Aurangabad, India is quite hilly).  And my spine, due to imperfect posture, isn't perfectly vertical, so weight on my head doesn't channel directly to the pelvis, but against curvatures in my spine.  It seems you'd have to be raised to have good posture to take full advantage of this.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 21:46:42 »

Thanks for the picture Richard!

You're very welcome, Martin ...

Here are a couple more from the same October 1941 National Geographic article on Ancient Egypt.
(Does the house and well device look familiar?)

see attachments

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 02:55:19 »
:yup: i find it very natural to see women carrying hevy loads on the top of their heads.
i remember when i was a child seing women who worked in my family's farm doing it constantly.
nowadays it is very rare to see it in portugal.
i guess it can be traced to a northern-african "style" of carrying things.
what is now portugal and spain was an arab kingdom from 711 a.d to 1249 a.d. (to 1491 in spain) and the cultural heritage is undeniable (stronger in spain), from water irrigation to hardware names.
the way to do it is to get a large scarfe and roll it into a donut shape ring (the blue ring in playmobil's very accurate set) around the top of your head.
with this protection on and with the right kinf of (cat)walk you can just about carry anything on the top of your head.
 :yup: if you don't need to run or move very much, this method is much efficient than a back-pack.
it helps, of course, to have the inside of your skull filled with brain matter (just kidding, timotheos :P).
    honni soit qui mal y pense