Author Topic: New Familiy groups on Direct Order  (Read 11046 times)

Offline tiger1983uk

• The Lurker
  • Playmo Enthusiast
Re: New Familiy groups on Direct Order
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 19:55:13 »
I've ordered the Caucasian family, have to wait and see if they arrive. Its a bit strange that you can only see the pictures when you click on them.
"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 22:28:43 »
YEAAHHHAAAAA ASIAN FIGURES  :love:

I hope for a mould,too but i think print its cheaper and faster ??!
But the ask was how long hold the print on the face ???

many thx for the pics

world greets

Andi

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 22:47:33 by Customizer »

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 23:07:05 »
although I know there are some people who don't like the eyes they have used on the Chinese figures.

In Japan and China, artistst, cartoonists, and toymakers never depict themselves as being slant-eyed, but give themselves normal eyes or even extremely round eyes.

Most Asians look more or less like white people.  And, I've seen Italian and British women who looked Asiatic!

My wife who is Chinese has the outer tips of her eye slightly higher than the inner tips (I just compared her and me in a photo)(either that, or my eyes droop downward).  Her eyes are otherwise horizontal.  Nobody really has slanted eyes.

The slant-eyed klickie figures are kind of cute for us non-Asians, but I hope Playmobil doesn't use that set as its vanguard when it releases in China in 2008.

It would be like China releasing a toy to the US in which all the white people are fat....

-Tim

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 23:41:05 »

The slant-eyed klickie figures are kind of cute for us non-Asians ...

Yes, they are "cute" ...

Unfortunately, whenever an attempt is made to characterize a group of people it usually results in an unflattering or unrealistic caricature that is almost certain to offend someone.

Playmobil's depiction of caucasians is also "cute," as is their rendition of Africans, East Indians, American Indians, etc.

Playmobil's Cowboys, Pirates, Firefighters and Knights are also "cute." In fact it's probably safe to say, "Playmobil is cute!"

Hopefully, most people (regardless of their ethnic heritage) will just see that Playmobil is "cute" and not be offended by a little smiling toy from Germany.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 23:44:17 »
The slant-eyed klickie figures are kind of cute for us non-Asians,

Actually, I meant to say really cute.

Can I order the three women without the guys (or the kids)?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 00:02:23 »

Actually, I meant to say really cute.

Can I order the three women without the guys (or the kids)?

If you can somehow get the part numbers for the three women figures, I'm sure that you can order them from Direct Service when they become avaiable in the States.

Tim, I have found that sometimes, even when you don't have the part numbers, if you have the set number and can describe the part you want ... the Direct Service folks will help you.

All the best,
Richard

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 07:27:09 »
... Prices are £5.99 for each set in the UK which will probably work out as 5.99 euros. ...

Actually, they're 9.99 here - allmost as expensive as in the UK  :(

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 08:33:54 »
Actually, they're 9.99 here - allmost as expensive as in the UK  :(

Bogro

A new pricing policy!  At one time it seemed that the euro price became the UK price simply by putting a £ sign in front!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 10:06:12 »
A new pricing policy!  At one time it seemed that the euro price became the UK price simply by putting a £ sign in front!

UK prices really shock me, though the one quoted here is OK-ish, if not happy. 

These figures don't appear available in the states yet (unless PM releases them today/tomorrow (new stuff happens at the beginning of every month).  I speculate the price will be same as for the knight's family $9.99 (PM website, $7.14 from Ridgeroad Station).

With the dollar plummeting, the USA must be the Playmobil sales equivalent of India.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 12:35:34 »

Back in the 80s when I used to buy RPGs and boardgames from the states, the purchase prices were also frequently £1 = $1.  >:(

My brother and I were especially miffed that a small 6 sided die included in the game box would shift something from being designated purely printed material to a game for tax and duty purposes, and thus whack VAT on, even though you could buy the die loose for 10p in the games shop.