Author Topic: 4800 Ghost Pirates UPDATE !!!!  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: 4800 Ghost Pirates UPDATE !!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 18:19:39 »
i am still having a problem with the non-figure parts form these sets.
i don't like the crab, it looks too childish in a grown-up way.  :(
i hate the giant manta ray, the eyes don´t seem to belong to it and the teeth are too absurd (manta rays filter plancton and are quite peaceful).  >:(

I'm having some problems too.  I realized my favorite bit about Playmobil is the animals, but am not sure whether these nutty sea monsters fit the category.  I do like the hydra--probably because it reminds me of the "actual" mythical monster.  I hope it is better quality than the new red dragon. 

Walt Disney, on the other hand, took "old" ideas and made them "new" with his fantastic presentations.

Three great and wonderful creative geniuses. Now that's quite a trio!

I re-Christian Richard "Captain Superlative" ! 

Disney immortalized these great folktales, while giving us "historians" a hobby in tracking down the original, unsanitized tales!

You're too right, Rasputin.  Some time ago I came across an entry on Wikpedia crediting Walt Disney with the creation of the story of the kraken!   8}

Wikipedia...  I think it eventually will die a cold death or adopt a more traditional editorial structure.  Check out any topic that is mildly controversial and it turns into a farce of flame wars between anonymous editors.  One vocal Hindu nationalist, for instance, ravages the article about "Alexander the Great" objecting to the term "great" (though it is a 2,500 year old sobriquet) and renaming the article "Alexander of Macedon".  A Greek editor than flies off the handle complaining that this fuels the Republic of Macedon's political ambitions.

Guys!  Guys!  Can I please read a professional historian's bland regurgitation of the details, with mention of the areas where bonafide historians disagree?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 18:59:15 »

Guys!  Guys!  Can I please read a professional historian's bland regurgitation of the details, with mention of the areas where bonafide historians disagree?

As some non-historian once said about history, "Ya just had t'be there!" ...  :klickygrin:

Offline EDWINMODELS

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 08:31:25 »
Or as Gerald Ford once said ''All history is Bunk''  :lol:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 16:17:02 »
The Past Is History, The Future Is A Mystery And The Present Is A Gift ;) i have no idea who said it

history for me is somebody's interpretation on events . I have a history of what happened in our house and so does my wife . They can vary greatly even though we were both there . If somebody was to ask us both what happened they will be getting two very different answers . So now the Historian will have to decide what to immortalize in text .   8}
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 11:04:09 »
history for me is somebody's interpretation on events . I have a history of what happened in our house and so does my wife . They can vary greatly even though we were both there . If somebody was to ask us both what happened they will be getting two very different answers . So now the Historian will have to decide what to immortalize in text .   8}

Or as Gerald Ford once said ''All history is Bunk''  :lol:

As some non-historian once said about history, "Ya just had t'be there!" ...  :klickygrin:

These protests are all fine and good, until you go back 1000 years and find yourself forced to rely on the Old Testament, the Iliad, and the Odyssey as your explanations of the past.

-Tim 

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 22:40:22 »
 :hmm:i am curious timotheos - how can you reliably use books that are more than 2000 or 3000 years old to study history of things 1000 years old? ???
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 20:01:37 »
:hmm:i am curious timotheos - how can you reliably use books that are more than 2000 or 3000 years old to study history of things 1000 years old? ???

Hi Cachalote, you misread me.

Re-explained post:
In the first millennium, the Old Testament and the Iliad were regarded as prime fonts of historical wisdom.  There was also a Latin epic, called the Aeneid, which medievals would use for divining the future.  One would ask a question, select a random paragraph, and "interpret" that as the solution to the question.

So, my point was: I invited the above posters, who complained that modern historical research is all bunk, to adopt the Old Testament and the works of Homer for their historical enlightenment.

-Tim