Author Topic: Custom Motor Scraper  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Custom Motor Scraper
« on: September 10, 2006, 11:07:32 »
Hello  All

Some of you may have seen my post in the Film and Photography Gallery showing a very special vehicle being transported by road to its new home. Well its about time i shared pictures of the vehicle in question.
So what is it then ? Well this type of vehicle is called a Motor Scraper. It is used mainly in the construction of roads or as Captain Henry suggested in my other post Railway's. The task of this vehicle is to carefully cut away at the surface, which removes large amounts of soil and in the process levels the surface out. They usually work in large groups of up to 4 or 5 vehicles and can quite quickly prepare a surface ready for construction. In some cases large Motor Scrapers have 2 engines to give them extra power when they are working.
Please remember these pictures are here for PlaymoFriends and are an exclusive to this website :)9.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:23:19 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Custom Motor Scraper
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:10:21 »
To begin scraping the scraper box is lowered to the ground by hydraulic rams and the door is opened. When the vehicle drives forward the blade at the front of the scraper box cuts into the surface and the soil is collected in the box by the forward motion.

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:13:39 »
Once the Scraper is full it transports the soil to another part of the site and unloads it whilst on the move. It does this by raising the door and pushing the soil out using a hydraulic ram. The soil is leveled out when it is pushed out of the box so the rear of the vehicle continues to drive over the soil being deposited. Here are a couple of pictures showing the hydraulic ram in action. Once the vehicle is empty the door is shut and the box is raised allowing the vehicle to drive back to the site.
I had wanted to load the vehicle to demonstrate this but it would end up scratching all the paint off :lol: ;D. Considering the ammount of trouble i had painting the vehicle i was not going to risk it ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:31:04 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 11:25:40 »
Here is a picture of a real Motor Scraper.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my pictures. I appologise for the poor quality, it was a bit sunny outside today.

Kindest Regards  Tim  :wave:

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 12:28:19 »
Well, another custom triumph, Tim.  As before, you amaze both with the idea, the workmanship and how you adapt Playmobil parts for different uses.  I recognised a number of parts from different themes in that scraper.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
    • Playmobil Fire Department
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 13:42:15 »
Hey Tim,

That really is awsome.  :o How many different sets is it made out of? Really well done. Thanks for sharing, Tim.  ;D

Ben

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 14:17:13 »
Wow, never seen this kind of machine before. It's really well adapted right from the orginal. And really stunning: even the hydraulic ram seems to work in your model.

Seeing your vehicle in the dirt outside my first thought was, if you will risk to scratch of the paint by inserting some of the soil and with this showing the vehicle in heavy action (or if the paint will be scratch resistant  ;D) ... and actually you had the same concerns  ;)
BTW I wouldn't risk this too.  ;)
Maybe it might be an option showing the machine on duty by using the 7843 bulk goods; it's a more "clean" soil which should be insertable into the scraper without doing any damage to the painting.

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 18:52:27 »
Hello  Gordon, Ben, Little Jo

Thank you all very much indeed for your kind feedback and for taking the time to reply. 

Ben, Gordon  :):

The scraper has been made out of various parts from different sets. This mainly includes parts from two old bucket loaders and an old refuse truck. I also used a couple of small pieces from the stabilisers of an old crane and a piece from the fire station pole. This is finished off with a couple of parts made from plastic sheet and some plastic tube.

Little Jo  :)

Thank you for the suggestion !! I had not considered how usefull the new bulk goods set would be and infact completely forgot about it. I will certainly look into getting hold of some because i need a load for my off road dumper to carry as well. I think both of these vehicles would benefit greatly from having a load to carry  :)9

Kindest Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 22:39:04 »
I WANT ONE! I NEED ONE! :D:D:D

Tim, you have outdone yourself my friend. Even taking into account your previous awe-inspiring and jaw-dropping creations, this one is special!

It is truly hard to believe that this is not an original Playmobil vehicle - I know you said you had trouble with the painting, but it looks beautiful! It looks to be an exact match for Playmobil construction yellow.

The supervisor of planning and construction for my railroad is absolutely green with envy! :D

Thanks for sharing your time, talents and treasures with us!
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 14:54:18 »
Hello, Tim ...

Your customs are FANTASTIC !!! ...  :wow: ... :wow: ...  :wow: ...  :wow: ...  :wow: ... 

Thank you very much for sharing them with us here at PF !!!

All the best,
Richard