Author Topic: Time to play trains  (Read 7105 times)

Offline VicKlicktor

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Klick Kong
Time to play trains
« on: April 06, 2019, 00:12:04 »

There is a truly momentous moment in the life of every male collector when he has to conquer new lands for his hobby. So, I did it and took possession of the guest room and the portable tables used in family events.  8} I will not give details of the unfavorable concessions I had to accept after the armistice but this was how I finally got a reasonable space to set up my future indoor  layout.  ;D

It will be a basic project with only analog  Playmobil and LGB elements, without decoders or any other digital device since I cannot afford to get them.
The main idea is to build a modular layout and rotate Playmobil themes easily.
I will post any progress later  :wave:

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Time to play trains
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 00:30:41 »
Congratulations on  very impressive display space.  I look forward to seeing what develops.

Going analogue is sound even if you could afford DCC.  On G scale sites, DCC always seems to be the source of problems and questions.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:11:08 »
Woooow! I am looking forward to this diorama! I would love to have such a big space, awesome! Good luck with your progress!!!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 11:36:43 »
There is a truly momentous moment in the life of every male collector when he has to conquer new lands for his hobby. So, I did it and took possession of the guest room and the portable tables used in family events.  8} I will not give details of the unfavorable concessions I had to accept after the armistice but this was how I finally got a reasonable space to set up my future indoor  layout.

:lol:
Playmo expansionism!
I commandeered the attic of my neighbours house by removing a board on a connecting window and climbing through. Then I screwed their access hatch shut so they couldn't disturb me!

Perhaps I should add, for strict veracity, that I had my neighbours' full permission (my wife's parents) and their house is really part of ours (a granny annexe). Sounds good, though!

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your expansion,VicKlictor!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 18:22:22 »
Great looking space, congratulations! I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Offline VicKlicktor

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Klick Kong
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 00:52:05 »
Hello all,
Next step was to choose a funny background that allowed me to rotate Playmobil themes. I thought of realistic ones but I finally opted for the childlike style seen at Funparks in Zirndorf and Paris:

This is my do it yourself and family version:

I stopped here while waiting for some tracks and accessories.
My circuit design will be based on the Playmobil examples shown in the awesome 1995 train catalogue. This way I will deploy an analog circuit taking the options PM and LGB offered during 80s and 90s

The circuit is formed in essence with two concentric ovals interconnected to each other but properly isolated to be able to use two transformers. Playmobil suggests running two locomotives and keeping three parked but I'm sure we'll try more in motion to increase fun. :yippee:

:wave:

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 02:13:30 »
Things are progressing well and he backgrounds you have created are wonderful.

Look forward to seeing more.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 07:46:29 »
Wow. That is a BEAUTIFUL background! Can't wait to see more :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 18:59:18 »
Your room background is amazing, great choice!

Offline VicKlicktor

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Klick Kong
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 23:47:41 »

Thank you for following the implementation of my indoor layout. I'm still waiting for some parts.
I got the AnyRail free version to design my circuit. It allows me to include only 50 segments (this is why some sections are open in the diagram below), even so I got a very useful sight:

Also, just as a little sample I made this short video of my pilot test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OEAOJGl7ZI

I used the LGB 20216 Golden Stainz locomotive  (50th anniversary of the brand, 1968-2018) that I had to hand.
Sorry for the quality, this is something I have to fix.

Hope to progress some more next time.  :wave: