Author Topic: The Mexican Theme  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
The Mexican Theme
« on: February 07, 2019, 03:50:05 »

OMG you guys you have to look at this article.  :o  It has a huge (two dozen plus pics) gallery of what is basically a full Mexican theme for Playmobil. All the Gnomes of Zirndorf would have to do would be to make half a dozen of these sets and they'd have a massive smash! Seriously look at these pics, they're beautiful. :lens:

In my dream world the Gnomes produce national themes for every country that has a playmobil.webshop. The Germans already have a start, what with the various museum klickies; France has their Napleon Fi?ure and some bluecoats; UK likewise with various famous klickies...on and on. This Mexican theme is a sign of how things might be.  :cloud9:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
Re: The Mexican Theme
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:46:58 »
Wooooow!!!! My girlfriend is Mexican, she would love this!!! Beautiful customs and scenery! Thanks for sharing!!!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:08:57 »
Is it Mexican or Inca or Aztec?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 11:23:43 »
Is it Mexican or Inca or Aztec?

My girlfriend is happy to clarify this for you, in Mexico the Aztec lived and the Inca lived in Peru ;-) . In fact the Spanish conquerers gave the name "Aztec" to the "Mexica" (this was the name the native people gave themselves), because they couldn't pronounce the word "Mexica". So there you have to link with Mexico as well ;-)
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:53:34 »
My girlfriend is happy to clarify this for you, in Mexico the Aztec lived and the Inca lived in Peru ;-) . In fact the Spanish conquerers gave the name "Aztec" to the "Mexica" (this was the name the native people gave themselves), because they couldn't pronounce the word "Mexica". So there you have to link with Mexico as well ;-)

Thank you - this is very interesting. I didn't know about the Spanish conquerors not being able to pronounce "Mexica", but it makes sense to me  ;) :lol:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 13:11:34 »

Thank you for clarifying that.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 14:28:24 »
I´ve seen a lot of it before but certainly not all, so thanks for the link.

Past years I´ve been busy a bit myself with customising Inca / Maya / Aztec / ... klickies. (there were many more Pre-Columbian civilisations in South/Latin-America, but those 3 are the best known.)

I´ve also been thinking of building a (large) Aztec, Maya or Inca pyramid with Steck or System-X.
Advantage of Steck is it has large "stone" stairways, whereas System-X only has smaller stairways.  Advantage of System-X is it has large, flat "stone" roof-/floor-parts which can be joined together so you can put a small temple on top (f.e. like one of the Jungle Ruin ones) whereas Steck only has "wooden" flat roofs/floors. And I don´t want to go into cutting & glueing parts of buildings.

To use Steck I should probably dismantle several of my houses & castles and I prefer to keep those buildings together. Buying a whole lot of new Steck from DS-service for creating a large pyramid would be quite expensive.  Maybe I´ll give it a try with a staple of 2nd-rate discoloured/yellowed Steck-parts, but I probably won´t have enough for a complete pyramid.
To build one with System-X, I don think I have enough parts (like walls from the 3112-Harbour Fortress) for a large pyramid, maybe a small / not very high one. I guess the stairways (usually on each side of such a pyramid) would have to be build by connecting a whole lot of small parts...
And meanwhile such a pyramid won´t be an original idea anymore since several other people are building exactly what I had in mind. Too many plans & ideas, too few hours in a day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pre+columbian+america+pyramids&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_7--f4angAhXRKlAKHXjLDdEQ_AUIDigB&biw=1440&bih=758

Anyone good ideas or examples of relatively large "stone" stairs in System-X?
I might do a "try-out pyramid" when having time (and not being busy with other ideas) ...

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 15:14:31 »
Maybe start by making a small tzompantli?  :yup:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: