Author Topic: playmobil: The Movie: your opinion? (WITH SPOILERS!)  (Read 3929 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: playmobil: The Movie: your opinion? (WITH SPOILERS!)
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:01:05 »
I know I watched the first lego movie... but I don't actually remember it... not memorable. Unlike this one.  I know I didn't like the end, but don't remember why...

IMO, the problem with the movie is that it's not a LONG series... I  mean, the sheriff rides by. And does not return. An example. It could have everything it has now, but we'd need hours and hours and hours to get to the characters. I'd make the time.

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 17:59:39 »
Playmobil The Movie review.

The best way to criticize a film is to go to the cinema yourself. And that's exactly what I did today. After all the criticisms in the press, I wanted to see with my own eyes if the film really is that bad. And the short answer to that is, with the risk of being declared crazy, NO. I had a great time, the film runs smoothly without any dead moments, the story is good and like all children's films it ends well.

The story starts when Marla has just obtained her passport, and rehearses in her own room to ask her parents to go on a (world)journey. Because she is so busy with that, she is caught by her brother. But because Marla likes her brother, she explains to him why she wants to travel so much, even though her brother doesn't fully understand it. In the evening the children play with their favourite toys (Playmobil) when suddenly the doorbell rings. Unexpectedly, the police are there with the nasty announcement that their parents have died in a traffic accident. The familiar world of both children collapses in one moment.

Four years later, brother and sister unintentionally grew quite apart because Marla had to take care of the housework, and her little world is completely shattered. This comes to a climax when, after an argument, her brother runs away to go out with some friends. On the way to his friends, however, Charlie is attracted by a huge dinosaur on a truck, which is on its way to a toy fair that is under construction. Meanwhile, Marla also finds out where her brother is and they meet each other in the toy fair building, where a huge diorama of Playmobil is under construction. Charlie feels right at home, it reminds him of the nice hours he spent with his sister when they were playing with Playmobil. Marla doesn't like it and wants to go home immediately. Just as the quarrel is settled, the lighthouse in the diorama brings them into the world of Playmobil by magical powers. Here too it appears that they have grown apart, because Charlie feels right at home, and Marla has a lot of trouble to adapt.

For the rest, I don't give away too much about this film. Marla and Charlie quickly loose each other, where Marla does everything in her power to find her brother. She meets people who want to help her, but also discovers that the world of Playmobil is sometimes surprisingly strange. She also discovers that she has changed a lot and that she and her brother have grown apart. But the sudden responsibility for her brother has also made her uncertain. It takes a lot of effort for her to overcome that, but after that she is determined to find her brother again, and to get home safely from this strange world. And that works too!

Returning to the film critics, it's easy to forget that the film is announced as an animated film, but that it starts as an ordinary film. First of all, I would like to praise the casting of brother and sister, who play convincingly as brother and sister in the film. They could really be siblings, with the well-known siblings' quarrels, but also interdependence and affection for each other. Ask any director or film producer: working with children is particularly difficult. But in this film it is well succeeded.

The animation side of this film is excellent. There is a lot of criticism on the movability of the Playmobil dolls, but also in my imagination the klicky's are much more movable than they really are. Every child who plays with Playmobil will be able to confirm that. And film critics who don't understand that apparently never played in their youth or have a lack of imagination. If you judge a children's film, then put yourself in the shoes of a child who looks at the world differently.

One of the supporting roles is Rex Dasher. This delicious parody of James Bond and The Saint certainly deserves its own spin-off!
The world of the good fairy is also modeled with a big wink at Disney World.

I don't share another criticism of the film critics. This film is not comparable to the Lego films. I've played a lot with both in my youth, but Playmobil is essentially something different from Lego. Star Wars and Star Trek are not comparable either, nor is Meccano with Fishertechnik. Each I appreciate, each has his own for and against, but they are not comparable with each other.
Just watch this film out of the eyes of someone who loves Playmobil, or just enjoy watching it. But if you do make comparisons with other toys, then you're wasting time on the fun of watching a film.

Another point of criticism I hear a lot is that the film is an advertising film for Playmobil. Uh, sorry: isn't Lego The Movie, or the TV series about Barbie either so? The pot blames the cauldron for being black?

I give the film 5 stars (5 *****). If it comes out on DVD I will definitely buy it. But I'm afraid this is a film that will do better in DVD sales than in cinemas. It's sad that in the Netherlands there is only one press service (ANP). And if a film critic there is negative about this film, it will be in all the newspapers. Can someone give him a box of Playmobil as a gift?

I discovered two easter eggs (but I'm sure there are more). On Charlie's toy shelf is Buzz Lightyear, and when Marla makes binoculars of a magazine you'll see a drawing of Rex Dasher on the world map.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 18:18:59 »
Playmobil The Movie review.

The best way to criticize a film is to go to the cinema yourself. And that's exactly what I did today. After all the criticisms in the press, I wanted to see with my own eyes if the film really is that bad. And the short answer to that is, with the risk of being declared crazy, NO. I had a great time, the film runs smoothly without any dead moments, the story is good and like all children's films it ends well.

Thank you for the detailed comment... And you are very right about the human actors :)

I loved the movie - hope to see it in the theater later, and I REALLY hope to find an original version...

I have explained my problem with it... I wanted details and backstories on EVERYONE - especially the amazon. But the movie rushes past everything...

That said, I LOVED it.  (even if I did expect better)  I realize I am easy to playmoplease.

Still no idea why there is no passport...  What about the dino?  Still, I find it hard to believe there will be more sets.. what does everyone think? I had hopes that more would be released later in the year (with the figures) - my wallet, as usual, disagrees.. However, catalogs are out.... is it possible to have a theme not announced?

The movie was moved back in the US, right? Here it's supposed to arrive in October...

And I will also buy the DVD as soon as it appears. I ASSUME it will appear? I wanted Super 4 too :(

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 09:12:47 »
Marco, I nominate your post for the Playmofriends Post of the Year. Interesting, informative and thought-provoking! I could not agree more with you that Playmobil is all about TOYS and CHILDREN!

I don't know what the prize is for Post of the Year, or if such a thing exists, btw!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:09 »
Playmobil is all about TOYS and CHILDREN!

and also GROWNUPS in their SECOND OR MAYBE THIRD CHILDHOOD!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 17:16:40 »
I went with my sister a few weeks ago.

We were the two only persons in the theatre - but then again; it was tropical outside, so I guess most parents had other plans for that day :)

It isn't the best movie ever made; but it is nicely done. Me and my sister enjoyed it.
Every thing passing by reminded us of sets we do or do not have.
We liked the characters and the story.

We definitly had a great time.
And in the end; isn't that all that is important?

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 17:43:37 »
We definitly had a great time.
And in the end; isn't that all that is important?

Yes :)

I liked the movie, I just think the trailers were better than the movie..

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 19:06:57 »
I just think the trailers were better than the movie..

Ouch.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 19:08:39 »
Ouch.

I mean, I expected a LOT more from the movie. It was great, but I expected more.  Needed more time, I think. A LOT more time.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 19:14:41 »
Yeah, but I didn´t find the trailer that amazing. So if it showed the best parts of the film, then I won´t watch the movie. Not even on TV.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!