Author Topic: A new PM Tool (but not what you expect ;-)  (Read 7903 times)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
A new PM Tool (but not what you expect ;-)
« on: February 12, 2006, 10:21:25 »
I have had enough of always walking to the workshop fetching a screwdriver just when I wanted to insert or change the batteries into the battery compartement of a blinking lights enabled vehicle (or the flootlight). So I got the idea to extend my always handy Playmobil tool set by another one: a screedriver. I took the standard yellow tool (which is used for assembling the System-X building connectors) and removed the blade. This can be done quite easily with a pair of pliers and slightly turning movements, because the blade is only be stucked into the plastic handle. The new blade is simply made by a suitable screwdriver bit (Pozidrive/PZ 1); I grinded the hexagon end until it was round and it had the same diameter than the handle opening fitting tight into it; for this I used a grinding machine. The final step was to shorten the bit that way, that the narrower end of the blade just ends at the handle opening.

(Only shortcoming is, that using the standard yellow handle there is not distinction by color at a glance; another colored handle would be more suitable here ... so I plan to try to bleach it with some hydrogen peroxide.)

[This article is also available at my homepage.]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 10:32:00 by Little Jo »

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
Re: A new PM Tool (but not what you expect ;-)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 10:28:59 »
BTW, I never understand, why Playmobil designed the battery compartements in that user unfriendly way (needing a screwdriver for battery swap or insertion) ... maybe there are some security considerations regarding kids safety ...

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 10:31:15 »
What a clever idea! :D

I'm always misplacing screwdrivers, especially the small one I use for pushing legs off klickies. :-[ I like the handy way you have joined your Playmo tools together with a chain. :yup:

Very inventive, Jochen. 8-)

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 11:01:46 »
That's a very clever idea, Jochen.

As regards bleacing the handle, there's always the chance that this might affect the strength of the plastic, so maybe just a splash of paint or a tag on the handle is the answer.

I think you're right about security, kids and batteries, knowing the desire of youngsters to taste anything they pick up! :omg:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 11:19:56 »
Hello  Jochen  :)

This is excellent, thank you for sharing it with us !! I am certainly going to have to have a go at making one of these.

Kindest Regards  Tim  :)9

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 13:12:50 »
I have a lot of those Yellow Playmo keys around I might have a go at that myself and then of course put them all in a chain.  8-)
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 13:30:38 »
Great idea, Jochen ...

Thanks for sharing it with all of us here at PlaymoFriends!

I'm now trying to think about what other tools I can stick into those yellow handles ... ;)

All the best,
Richard

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 15:13:48 »
I think alot of people are going to have that tool, and put the three tools on a key chain

Thanks for sharing such a brilliant idea

m

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 15:38:04 »
As regards bleacing the handle, there's always the chance that this might affect the strength of the plastic, so maybe just a splash of paint or a tag on the handle is the answer.

Yes, sure this might be true. I also thought about painting it, but I assume that the paint will not stay on the tool by frequent usage, so I got the idea to re-color it more in a different way.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 18:57:28 »
My suggestion would be to color it with a permanent ink felt pen. :)