Author Topic: Removing glue  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
Removing glue
« on: February 15, 2011, 14:34:40 »
We've got a little girl Klicky who can't sit down. Funny how we've never noticed before, but she has just had to stand through a circus performance.

It appears that the bottom of her top has been glued to the top of her bottom.  I've tried loosening her up, and pulling her head off (per instructions on here only without beard and cape) and she's stuck fast.

I have no idea what the glue is, and she's currently having a warm bath (hot water and washing up liquid). Nothing seems to be happening yet.

Any ideas?

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: Removing glue
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 14:49:44 »
I would try with very hot water first, just like you did. If it doesn't work I would just try to dismantle her...using force  :-\
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 15:13:06 »
You could try benzine/gasoline or lighter fluid. More aggresive solvent may damage the plastic.

Do not use aceton or nailpolish remover.

Could you describe the glue a bit more? Hard or soft? Does it have color?

It may be superglue. That doesn't dissolve.

It may be epoxy glue. Doesn't dissolve either.

In stead of hot water, you may try freezing. Or alternating hot water and freezing.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 15:31:39 »
If it's a two pack epoxy, then hot water will soften it and allow you to ease it off.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 16:10:44 »
I can't actually see any glue, so I can't identify it, but she's stuck fast, poor love.  For all I know it could be a boiled sweet although as it's invisible, it's more than likely superglue (why would anyone want to do that to her?).

She's been in hot water for a couple of hours now (I keep changing the water and trying to move her) but there's no change, other than that I have now managed to pull her head off (but that wasn't stuck, that was just me being feeble).

Thanks for all the advice, I'll crack this problem (if I don't crack the poor child in the meantime!)

Offline Dinobuzz

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 17:59:43 »
My 5305 house was soooo over glued (that's the way I got it) that I had to use a hair dryer to soften the glue just to take it apart to clean it! It worked like a charm........ maybe, this method may work for you?

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 20:57:32 »
I don't know whether this topic will help. 
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=5559.0
Colonel Klicky suggested putting the item in the freezer for a couple of hours.  I don't know if it depends on the type of glue though.

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).