Author Topic: Sygnusdale... Behind the scenes!  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Sygnusdale... Behind the scenes!
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:14:03 »
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience on working my Cygnusdale diorama from my recent photostory project with PU foam!!!

So, first of all, take a board...and your kitty along if she is too curious and wants to see what will happen (attachment 1).

I just placed the major items on the board to see how they will look .... no Isis is not part of the diorama... but as always she was most curious to see what her master was up to... (attachment 2) ... and I drew some outlines with the pencil just to have an idea whereabouts would I be spraying the foam (attachment 3)... not an easy thing to do as I found out in the process...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: Sygnusdale... Behind the scenes!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:19:21 »
..I just hammered some nails on the board for stability of the foam, (attachment 1)

and sprayed, what I thought would be sufficient, the first can of PU foam... (attachment 2)

but since one was not enough I used three cans of PU foam...and the differnt colour at that (attachment 3)... still I did not what was expecting me...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:49 »
What happened next was the foam started to run outside the board...and of course some of it run on the balcony floor (attachment 1)... I tried to press and squeeze it back at its place a bit but most of it had already started to harden... so it was not easy to repair anything...the foam from the third can made things even worse, as not having gloves I touched the thing with bare hands to reshape it...foam stuck on my hands for a week or so....

The next day, I went back to cut the foam... and this was a complete disaster.... (attachment 2) the foam inside had not hardened... :o it was even stickier than the freshly sprayed foam...  :o :o :o (attachment 3)

Needless to say, the knife, a cutter, couple of t-shirts, a towel and a pair of gloves ended up in the trash...I tried using acetone as a solvent to clean but somehow everthing was turning out wrong...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:34:19 »
I finally got rid of all the foam that had not solidify (attachment 1 and 2) and found out, dispite all the material disaster, that this is a good opportunity to use this as a cave, or lunar diorama!!!

But that is a thought for another time...I just went on painting the board sufrace and the mountain rock with hobby paint spray, water based... (attachment 3)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 15:34:16 by Wolf Knight »

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:42:12 »
I brought the board in the livingroom the third day and started placing the various items on it (attachment 1)...and then placed the motivo paper (attachment 2) which had too many clouds for my taste...but this was the best I could find... I also had difficulty keeping it in place as it was rather heavy and the different layers were overlaping, thus not making easy for the paper tape to hold it...

Despite all that, this was the result!!! (attachment 3)

I hope you found this useful and entertaining as I did!!!  :)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:15 »
WOW what a lot of work went into this masterpiece! :o :o :o

I wondered how you did the hills :yup:

BTW, Isis is soooo cute :love: :love: :love:

Damo :rudy:

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 14:22:00 »
What a wonderful and thoughtful job.  Thank you so much for sharing the step by step plan and your triumphs and pitfalls.  This is all great information and good of you to share. 
I agree with Damo, Isis is a doll!   :love:
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 14:29:18 »
wow! thanx Panos.... that was very instructional! I'll think twice before using that foam, thought the result is great...and the caves would look amazing!! thanx for the ideas!!!!  :)
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 15:22:22 »
Thank you for the excellent instructions on this project :)9! I may use this procedure in the future for photo stories, too :camera:! Fantastic idea :yup:! Use of this new spray foam for landscaping is limitless :high5:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 15:43:30 »
Thank you all for replies!!!  :) :) :)

To Damo and Joe: see one more attached pic of her while I was thinking about how to place the various parts  ;) She would just go back on the board every time to check whats new!!!

To Gaston and Bill: If I had let the first and second layer of foam to solidify properly this ''cave'' would not have happened! So the key here, if you use more than one can of foam is to spay, then leave it for a few hours and then spray again...Also remember, if you do something like that, you'll have to keep the can upside down and make backwards movement with it!