Author Topic: Restoring chrome plated armor  (Read 13294 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: Restoring chrome plated armor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 07:56:02 »
Right...so i woke up this morning...and started on two projects...here is the first...(i'll post the other one on another thread)...

I gathered some of my worn off chrome parts (either from time, sun, dust, stickers you call it)

and started rubbing them with silvo and enamel thiner....great combination btw....   (actually it struk me how diffently the various parts were originally produced by playmobil....yellow plastic???? grey???? blackish....even no color on the plastic whatsoever...but the texture of the chrome was also different....you'll notice on the yellow plate the chrome was like one of those thin sheet foil layers used...this was easier to pull off with band aid (great method btw Richard!!! Thank you very much) while on other parts the chrome was actually some kind of paint....

Anyway, i sank the parts in a small container filled with silvo and thinner.....

.... and after a while I rub a little more....

....i cleaned a part and prepared it for painting...

...sprayed it, and as i write these words waiting for it to get dry...

I do this project as i have about 30 or so Nuremburg guards and most of them i have since childhood...After seeing Richard's Thornrose Castle and the guards there I got green with envy and wanted my guards to have the same shine they once used to have!!!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 22:21:39 by Wolf Knight »

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 15:34:06 »
nice thought pano!!!!1 ;) but why did you removed the color for painting them again you could spray on the old paint or betterly :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: paint the black ones silver!!!!!!
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 18:05:51 »
nice thought pano!!!!1 ;) but why did you removed the color for painting them again you could spray on the old paint or betterly :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: paint the black ones silver!!!!!!

You need to remove original paint so that the new one will look smoother on the plastic....and avoid any boobly look on the surface...
I need the darker ones for other projects Alex!!! ;)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 18:13:18 »
I think this thread needs to be renamed to ''restoring chrome plated armor''....

Ok so, i've learned from experience.... never touch it before 5 hours have past....even if the spray can tell you its alright to touch after 20 minutes.... >:(

I lined them all up,painted them gently ...do not squeeze hard and do not spray too much paint..it'll start drooling....

And after five hours or so, still hold the parts gently....we have the restored armor pieces we need...

As you look the image, the left one is the restored one.... the right one is an original one.... this spray is not as shiny as the original chrome coating but it works....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 22:28:50 by Wolf Knight »

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 18:27:26 »
You need to remove original paint so that the new one will look smoother on the plastic....and avoid any boobly look on the surface...
I need the darker ones for other projects Alex!!! ;)
you can find plenty of the black on ebay and cheap so you could paint them but you said those were destroyed from time that you painted!! so well used !!i'am gonna do this too has a nice result!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 20:54:56 »

I think this thread needs to be renamed to ''restoring chrome plated armor''....

I've renamed it for you. :)
Really fabulous results! The old stuff looks just like new again. 8-)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 21:53:08 »
I've renamed it for you. :)
Really fabulous results! The old stuff looks just like new again. 8-)

Thank you Sylvia!!! Much appreciated!! Glad you like the result!!!  :wave: :wave: :wave:

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 00:10:43 »
Looks fabulous! Thanks for the tips.
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 04:59:51 »
Great results for your first try :)9!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 06:31:51 »
Looks fabulous! Thanks for the tips.

Thank you Lindama, Here is another tip.... Do not let your children use these materials.... They are dangeous if you inhale too much and for you  if you suffer from asthma or any other kind of breathing problems... or you might just get strong headaches