Author Topic: 3880 as a US style Engine  (Read 7369 times)

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
    • Playmobil Fire Department
3880 as a US style Engine
« on: February 26, 2009, 21:19:09 »
Hello everyone,

I've always wanted to make the 3880's that I have look a little more like they're from the US. Most Engines (pumpers) in the US have side mounted pumps and large hosebeds located on the top of the truck, while trucks in the UK have pumps mounted in the rear of the truck and rolled hose. (Gordon, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Somehow I managed to make every truck the same.

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
Re: 3880 as a US style Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 21:25:34 »
Now the Hosebed.

I have put 4 short sections and 1 long section of hose up top with a short section on a roll inside the truck. Two of the short sections up top have nozzles attached so they can be placed into action within minutes.

I've also painted regular extinguishers silver to make watercans. Watercans are 20 gallon water extinguishers.

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 21:29:22 »
Well that's it for now.

My next customs, already in the shop, are a crash truck and first responder unit for the airport.  >:D

- Ben

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 22:54:03 »
Excellent custom water connections Ben  :wow:! We look forward to seeing your additional contributions! I've been working on some of the same type of connections also for my fleet, but I decided to put them on the rear 1/4 panels because of the pump being located there, & without drilling any holes! I'm still working on it though!

Bill
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 22:54:20 »
Very nice customs, Ben, they look very smart and very American.  The hose, I think, looks especially good and the idea of painting the fire extinguishers silver to create watercans is a good one.

What you say about UK fire engines is correct.  Rolls of hose are carried in the side lockers and the pump is mounted at the rear.  Side mounted pumps were in fashion to some extent when wheeled escape ladders were carried as if the pump was at the rear the escape had to be dismounted to operate the pump and this took time and, of course, meant that the escape had to be parked somewhere, not always easy in, say, a narrow city street.

BTW, what else do you have on top of the pump?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:23:37 »
Thanks for the photos Ben, I had not really noticed the difference till I saw your customs and realized that those are indeed what I am used to seeing (but evidently, not noticing).

Gepetto

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 17:38:52 »
Hey Everyone, Thanks for all the compliments.

Gordon, I've placed some shovels and streetbrooms along with all the hose. I also painted the ladders orange (to look more official) and some of the engines have hard suction hose and the hazmat vaccums.

Bill, I will see how many extra fittings I have, I know it's a lot, if you would like. Another thing DS has never had are the yellow air cylinders.  >:( Good luck with you project.

- Ben 

Offline noodwachter72

• Playmo Lover
  • Noodwachter Dutch civil defense
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 20:44:51 »
truck 23   2487

now a understood way the dashboard is in the middle of the truck

In the Netherlands We only have front mounted or back mounted pumps

Peter
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 21:01:55 by noodwachter72 »
the imposable wy do direct
wonders take some time

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 21:48:23 »
Nice idea and well executed.

To be honest I actually do not know where in Germany the water outlet is placed. I think at some vehicles at the back but I think there are also some where the outlet is at the side like yours but behind a cover ...  ???

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:22:12 »
Nice idea and well executed.

To be honest I actually do not know where in Germany the water outlet is placed. I think at some vehicles at the back but I think there are also some where the outlet is at the side like yours but behind a cover ...  ???

That's right, Jochen, although sometimes the side ones are not covered over at all.  I can't quickly find a picture, but this custom was based on a photograph of a German fire engine:

http://www.playmofire.eu/tlf16page2.html
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”