Author Topic: Camera information and...  (Read 3724 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Camera information and...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 08:16:03 »
That last point is one I haven't considered before. I can see that would help greatly with checking composition, lighting, focus and camera shake. I must see if I can do that!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 03:39:10 »
I am loving our Friend JL Matterer's masterclass in photography and all the tips  :love:

I personally use a NIKON Coolpix A100 camera, affordable and really easy to use.

I mostly take pictures in natural day light which can be tricky where I live by the Thames but do avoid taking pictures of miniatures and Playmobil in direct sunshine as it obliterates the colours and details.

The autofocus function was a lifesaver for me as I used an old Praktica camera back in the days which did not have one and had me swearing more that I can possibly say even if I still love it to bits  :lol:

Karim
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:49:58 by playmovictorian »
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 18:13:10 »
A very interesting thread and a lot of useful suggestions.

Lighting-wise, I think you have to ask yourself what kind of toy photography you are planning to do. I shoot rather large dioramas, and I find that natural light coming in from a window, supplemented by a small Lume Cube or Litra Torch is enough for my most basic needs.

As others have said, a tripod is a must. You can’t go wrong with a mid-price Manfrotto.

Software, I use different kinds of software depending on whether I’m editing on my macbook or ipad (I prefer the ipad these days … much more convenient). My go-to software is Lightroom, but I used Snapseed for years, and that’s free! I also use the touch/retouch app for erasing stands, wires and other things that help with some poses. It’s a very powerful app and I find it’s much better than the clone/heal feature in LR.

Lastly … the camera. I started with an Iphone SE, and looking back, it showed  ;D

Then I started using a Canon mid-price SLR that I had owned for years and never bothered to use much. I learned how to use it properly - exposure, white balance, depth of field and so on - and that really helped me up my game. I’ve outgrown the Canon now, also because I’m moving to a more professional set-up that requires high resolution pictures. As a replacement I splurged on a Leica Q2. Not the most obvious of choices for toy photography, but I’m really happy with the results and also the fact that I can use it for ‘real life’ photography.

Anyway, hope this helps!
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."