Author Topic: More European cultural heritage in PM: comics and BDs!  (Read 5457 times)

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: More European cultural heritage in PM: comics and BDs!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 22:40:39 »
Narnia was a terrific suggestion! The possibilities seem endless if they could tap into that world. I think a theme related to this could provide an abundance of medieval and obviously fantasy designs. Centaurs, Minotaurs, the ceiling would be quite high...

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 09:21:45 »
I would to see a distinction drawn on these forums between themes and franchises. Themes are open world. Franchises constrain imagination. Franchises are collectible but they are not usually easy to play with. A celtic warrior, for example, could be the hero or the villain, a central character or just part of the clan. But Asterix is always going to be Asterix. As such I am very much in favour of themes drawing on historical periods or fantasy fiction, but cautious about franchises.

I think it is telling that the Playmobil franchises to date are either 80s-related or self-invented. If they start making Octonauts or Paw Patrol figures we'll be in a whole new world.

The sets produced by Playmobil to reflect ideas/ intellectual property from other places (movies, books, etc.) are often referred to as Licensed products. Are they strictly franchises? I don't think I understand the distinction, but perhaps the terms franchise and licensed are interchangeable?

I do agree that 1980s ideas seem to be favoured by Playmobil, something to do with targeting middle-aged collectors I assume. And many Playmobil sets are look-alikes rather than licensed products (e.g. sets like 9350-53 and 9469-74, Ice Princess sets with a strong resemblance to the Frozen films!).
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2021, 12:04:31 »
I suppose I'm thinking of franchise as a wider term, including the way geobra are partnering their own cartoons with their own products - Super 4, the Movie, Dino Rise, &c. But you're right, Graham, it's really a term for a borrowed business model.

I agree: I'm sure they are targetting collectors in their 40s and 50s. Spirit is a noughties thing, but the rest all seem to have been big in the 80s - as Star Trek would be if that does come out (think the movies here). Lego have sown up all the big selling contemporary franchises: MCU, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, LOTR. Bond's been big in every decade. Beyond that they have to think about the audience - Fast and Furious for kids?  :omg:

Perhaps this post should now turn towards eighties movies/TV series that could be turned into themes: Gremlins? Flash Gordon? Mad Max? Alien? They've missed the boat on Indiana Jones!  ;D

Of course, I wouldn't want any of these ...

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2021, 12:53:58 »
They've missed the boat on Indiana Jones!  ;D

To be fair, they basically did make Indianna Jones sets already with first Jungle ruins sets

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2021, 08:44:39 »
To be fair, they basically did make Indianna Jones sets already with first Jungle ruins sets

I agree. Playmobil has issued sets and figures which reflect popular films, etc. without paying licensing fees for years. Shrek, Tolkien, Frozen, Indianna Jones to name a few. It's a bit of a standing joke that geobra manage to issue movie-inspired sets and figures about 2 years after the inspiration has dropped from peak popularity!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 18:19:02 »
Also Tomb Raider and Aeon Flux..