Author Topic: Cleaning playmobil with hydrogen peroxide [H2O2]  (Read 14758 times)

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
Re: Cleaning playmobil with hydrogen peroxide [H2O2]
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 14:32:19 »
Excellent stuff ! Thanks so much for sharing !!! I have lots of parts that could do with such cleaning especially old Steck walls and old western fort walls (god these were lovely weren't they, back in the early 80s we loved building Western forts with them ...) as well some 10 old pirate ships !!! great stuff !!! absolutely great stuff !!!  :wave:

Thank you, Giorginetto! I've seen your posts with pics of your collection, it's just AMAZING!  :love:
Take care & keep safe  :wave:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline Mansave75

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 10:55:06 »
Hey guys, I have mine (ref. 3771) at this moment using the peroxide process and when it finishes I'll show you the results, it's very promising  :D

By the way, I'm here again after a long break with Playmobil and I hope to enjoy here again. Thanks for sharing everything!
Greetings,
 ;)

Offline Wigglesworth

• Playmo Pal
  • Playmobil newby
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2021, 14:27:53 »
This process is brilliant for restoring the grey walls.  In my experience the whites, yellows and blues are fine too.

WARNING though -- Please be wary about doing the red roof pieces with this process.  Having had such great results with the grey walls I put most of mine out on a lovely sunny day in 3% for a few hours.  They faded/bleached really badly. I'm trying to burnish(?) to restore them but it's beyond painstaking.  Unfortunately, the birthday is not far away now so have resorted to purchasing a round and square tower roof.  The house roof requires replacing too I think.

Hopefully by posting this I can spare someone else.
Regards,
Wigglesworth

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2021, 14:58:16 »
Red is a semi-transparent colour and so is easily damaged.  It's also why until recent years it was so prone to fading in string light (hence, the strangely dull dark pink old cars you sometimes still see).  I als remember that red paint on woodwork went on unevenly in colour and needed three coats whereas other colours needed only two.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wigglesworth

• Playmo Pal
  • Playmobil newby
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2021, 09:25:55 »
Well I am just counting it as a lesson learned, but I really don't want to scrap the roof parts.

Given the comments from playmofire, I am not too hopeful but my follow up question is; has anyone any experience in a spray paint job to restore the red colour.  Not sure what the shade is (figured I could think about that later).  Just wondering if it would work in principle.
Regards,
Wigglesworth

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2021, 18:48:14 »
I think you might be able to spraypaint roof parts with a matt car paint. Good idea to spray them with a plastic primer first. Try Halfords!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)