Author Topic: new pirates at toysrus?  (Read 7654 times)

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
Re: new pirates at toysrus?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:44:54 »
is this a new trend for us USA folks to no longer have to wait an entire year to get cool stuff that came out in europe first?  Or am I so behind the times and haven't realized that it's already been a year since this ship was available in europe?
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 11:43:37 »
When Clong first posted this, there were 260 playmobil items on the website. I checked yesterday and they are down to 209 items. Anyone notice this?  I would love to get things early at TRU. Remember we got the Z00 and treasure hunters early last year.

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:00 »
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12098411

they now have the castaway island too... me thinks they will be getting the whole pirate line in time for christmas...
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 12:50:53 »
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12098411

they now have the castaway island too... me thinks they will be getting the whole pirate line in time for christmas...
WHAT!?!?!?!?!!? USD9.99 ONLY!????? It is 9.49 EURO in Germany.....and the spot rate is 1EURO=1.3USD or above........ :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 12:57:15 »
the price points are usually different... its based on what they can get for it, not the exchange rate... sometimes its more, sometimes less... but usually pretty close... but yeah I noticed that too now the the german site has the prices listed

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 13:01:59 »
Right, it's usually really to our advantage to wait til stuff gets to the US to buy it, because it's cheaper!

did anybody local store have any of these? The link said that some stores have them. Our local store just re-organized the shelves and there is not room for these.

OUrs doesn't have them out yet, but it has shelves marked for several of those sets, including the big ship and the island, with prices. So I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they get them in or put them out.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 13:04:12 »
the price points are usually different... its based on what they can get for it, not the exchange rate... sometimes its more, sometimes less... but usually pretty close... but yeah I noticed that too now the the german site has the prices listed
so.... assuming no more Greek debt default and moody's credit rating downgrade in the Euro Zone....you guys in the states are getting the sets at 30 to 40% discount :love: :hmm:

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 13:10:46 »
well without getting too political... it is simply a matter of currencies values being based on the value of other currencies rather than being based on economic data... since the US dollar is currently the most used currency for international trade it has more buying power even if its value is less... which is why a set can be about 10 euros or 10 dollars... even though by exchange rates (which include a surcharge for obtaining the other currency whether you physically get that currency or not) indicate otherwise... for example the Canadian dollar has been worth "more" than the American dollar for a while (until the last few weeks) but the US prices compared to Canadian prices are almost always lower...

that might be a complicated explanation... but I only know how to make it more complicated, not less...  :lol: That is what happens when everybody is off the Gold Standard...  ;)

SO in short, it isn't really a discount, it just looks like it on paper... because we compare the prices between countries more than ever

Also, there are other cost factors to be considered in each market... there may be additional costs associated with selling the items in europe that do not exist in the US... I'd have to see the full financial documents to know for sure... :)

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 13:31:16 »
No worry.....my post grad thesis is on International Economics and now Chartered to do related business.....so what you say is comprehensible to me. Yet it is quite a common line when we are complaining about the currency issue...the whole A vis-a-vis B thing. Dont be too series.....fun would be all gone when we are getting too many assumptions and academic. :P

If we talk economics.....all I could do is suck it up and end all the complaints.

well without getting too political... it is simply a matter of currencies values being based on the value of other currencies rather than being based on economic data... since the US dollar is currently the most used currency for international trade it has more buying power even if its value is less... which is why a set can be about 10 euros or 10 dollars... even though by exchange rates (which include a surcharge for obtaining the other currency whether you physically get that currency or not) indicate otherwise... for example the Canadian dollar has been worth "more" than the American dollar for a while (until the last few weeks) but the US prices compared to Canadian prices are almost always lower...

that might be a complicated explanation... but I only know how to make it more complicated, not less...  :lol: That is what happens when everybody is off the Gold Standard...  ;)

SO in short, it isn't really a discount, it just looks like it on paper... because we compare the prices between countries more than ever

Also, there are other cost factors to be considered in each market... there may be additional costs associated with selling the items in europe that do not exist in the US... I'd have to see the full financial documents to know for sure... :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 13:34:03 by bonniebeth »

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 13:34:44 »
alright then I thought perhaps you were actually asking why  ;)

lets just call the discount our payback for the agony we get for seeing the sets SO FAR in advance and not being able to possess them  :lol: :lol: :lol: