Author Topic: NEW PLAYMOBIL EGYPTIAN 2008 - UPDATE !!  (Read 28393 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: NEW PLAYMOBIL EGYPTIAN 2008 !!
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2008, 00:46:26 »

I wonder, too, how popular the theme will be in Europe and America.  Both areas see themselves as having direct links with the Romans, but ancient Egypt?  Maybe Playmobil is looking at other markets though.  I think they may be looking to areas such as North Africa and the Near East for new markets.

Historic Playmo reaches all the Western (civilization's) countries markets. Not to tell that there's a lot of Protestants that grow up reading the Exodus, and Moses grew up in Egypt ...

XVIII, XIX centuries fans ("pirates" & soldier garden-wargamers) will be interested at least in pyramids (and Sphinx), because Napoleon has been there (and spoke words that became famous ...) (Words that may have been interesting to be heard at that moment and place, if I were a French soldier (...)*, and that ... I was [interested], when in school ::) [, I mean, the words caught my attention, and made me say "AAWWW!! ..."]).

So, it'll reach.

Gus
:blackhair:

*A general educating his soldiers ... But all right, they speak good things about Horatio as well.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 00:53:49 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: NEW PLAYMOBIL EGYPTIAN 2008 - UPDATE !!
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2008, 01:41:13 »

I forgot to count in the garden-wargamers who wish to make Rome to fall from both sides, or that are searching for new enemies for their Romans ...

And there's also the kids who are growing up with the "Mummys" and "Returns of mummys" movies ... The people who like Stargate ...

I may have forgotten someone/group :P

Blackhair
G.
Gus

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2008, 10:41:46 »
People who want to keep their razor blades sharp?

http://www.adam.com.au/bstett/PaPyramids13.htm
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:49:43 by Martin Milner »

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2008, 11:24:02 »
People who want to keep their razor blades sharp?

http://www.adam.com.au/bstett/PaPyramids13.htm

If the labour intensive methods employed by the Egyptians were used, then the cost would approach US$18 billion. It would be a brave government indeed that would suggest pyramid building as a cure for unemployment.

The paranormal gets my goat, too.  Though arguably all that clowning around from the 1850s through the 1970s is what has generated the interest in Egyptian history that makes it so well-researched today.

When I was eight or so I remember visiting my Gramps' house with Daniken's "documentary" based on "Chariot of the Frauds" playing in the background.  During my writing "career", I made "friends" with a successful Western writer who planned to venture into fantasy with a conspiracy theory novel based around the Bhagavad Gita encoding secret wisdom buried under the Pyramid at Giza.

Worse, my blank stare at such nonsense (I doubt he believed his premise, but hoped to ride off DaVinci code) helped earn my reputation with him as being a dim-wit.

But, seriously, just as you start to think you've seen everything, you run into educated, prominent people who believe the most bizarre notions.  I ran into another writer, a successful romance novelist, who after making jokes about weirdos she met on booksigning tours turned around and expressed some equally weird idea about aliens, pyramids, and Chinese medicine.

PS. Chinese medicine is another fraud.  All that talk about Chinese medicine being "holistic" and about the "entire person" is equivalent to an American believing Europe to be a land of enlightened, tolerant bliss where everybody is accepted for who they are.  A feature of Chinese hospitals are long lines stretching from the doctor's office, five minute interviews, and a prescription for a mass-produced pill from the pharmacy.*

* Actually, in my case, a foot rash, the medicine actually made the rash go away. 

But, we have a huge entertainment industry centered around the hope for the existence of better, more enlightened worlds, whether this be Pyramids built by eccentric space aliens or disheveled Chinese peasants who can cure cancer just by being nice to you.

-Tim

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2008, 13:51:27 »

Martin and Timmy ...

To you two naysayers, I give this advice, "Beware the curse of the mummy's tomb" ... Buwahahaaa ...

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 02:40:14 »

Martin and Timmy ...

To you two naysayers, I give this advice, "Beware the curse of the mummy's tomb" ... Buwahahaaa ...

Among those who cracked open Tut's tomb, the average age of death was higher than their home country national averages.

That mummy's curse business was media driven dribble.

Offline starhorse

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2008, 21:43:58 »
I looked all over this thread, so sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know what the retail prices for all the Egyptian sets are?

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2008, 21:57:44 »
anno-time.de  they have prices online..