Author Topic: 70221 – Burnham Raiders’ Fortress – with 9841 Wall Extensions  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
Note: The Fortress Walls are really dark grey, and not the colour shown in the photos below (which is the result of the camera flash).  The Playmobil webshop shows the true colour, which makes the Fortress look much better than it does in my photos!

I got off to a good start in building this.  Unlike with the Grand Castle of Nevermore, the tabs and slots in this tower clicked together quite easily.  I spent some time trying to get the ‘ropes’ of the cave door equal when the door is closed.  It is one piece of string, threaded through the top and knotted onto each side of the door.

They are equal tension when the door is opened, but one side can sag more than other when the door is closed if one isn’t careful. Though an easier approach would be to be less fussy.

Stickers.  There are stickers.  This one was the worst:

There is hole in the middle of the sticker, where the door knocker is fitted.  I started applying the sticker at the top, and the hole then didn’t fall in the right place.  So I started again at the bottom … and, what do you know, the hole then didn’t fall in the right place.

So I had to apply the sticker at the hole first, with only ‘good judgement’ to use as a guide for applying the sticker straight.  Thankfully, it worked out OK.  Then I had fits over those ‘grease marks’ on the sticker (hadn’t I washed my hands properly?) before realising that they are the actual colour of the sticker.

Then I noticed that moulding bump in the middle above the door knocker.  It would have been better to file that down first.  Now it has to stay.

Those door hinges, by the way, were horrible.  I thought I was a hinge expert.  I think Playmobil likes to prove me wrong.  I used Tiermann’s tip: using the flat end of a system-x connector tool to push them in.

I was worried about applying this sticker:

I’d never done an indented sticker before, and this shield has slider pieces on the back, causing it to rock back and forth on the table unless held still.  I had to hold it with one hand, and apply the sticker with the other hand.  It wasn’t as difficult as I feared, though – I started at the bottom, and it just simply put itself into place.

Then all fun disappeared from building.

Try as I might, I could NOT get the walls to fix to the volcanic rocks.

The problem, I think, is that the plastic on the rocks is so thin that it bends inwards when one tries to push the connectors into it.

And it is very difficult – and maybe for larger hands, practically impossible – to get one’s hand inside the rocks in order to stabilise the plastic from the other side.

I battled and battled for two hours with these.  In the end, I thought, it will just have to ‘do’ for now – after all, I was going to take it apart again in places to add the wall extensions, once I decided where to put them.

And, actually, when I came to add the wall extensions, I believed that I had discovered the secret to attaching the walls to the rocks...

This is what I thought was the solution:  Follow the instructions as usual, but don’t actually attach the walls and rocks.  Then, when the Fortress structure is complete, first attach the walls to the rocks.

This means that you can turn the rocks upside down and gain better access to apply pressure.

The rock with the tower on can be placed overhanging the table, to gain access to the inside from below.

Once all the walls are attached to the rocks, the rest of the walls can be attached also – wall connecting to wall is reasonably easy to click together.

… Or so I thought. 

It wasn’t until I sat down in front of the Fortress for my evening meal (it being on the dining table) that I noticed this:

Aaargh!  Not properly connected on both sides.  And how did the rocks become unattached again?  I know they had made a most satisfying click earlier.

Anyway: the completed Fortress before the extensions were added:

(Review continues below)
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
There are few accessories with the Fortress, but they are very fiery:

Oh, and these Big Balls of Fire:

As you can see, a klicky can hold them.  Which, unfortunately, made me think of having The Burnham Raiders Cheerleaders.

The Cheerleaders klickies included are, left to right, Warlord Bayron, his son Brody – and Sulphur and Lucifix, who I can’t remember from the animation.  No court jester Kahboom!  Actually, I don’t think Kahboom is available with any set.  Maybe he will be made available later, as he is detailed in the introductions to the instruction booklets.  I hope so.  I have no intention of ever playing Burnham Raiders, but I would like Kahboom.

I said that there were few accessories, but there is also little room for accessories, unless one is going to place them all outside in the courtyard.

It only took me half an hour to put together the wall extensions and fix them  in place.  Sort of.  One, I know now, needs re-doing.

The wall extensions include a second wyvern enclosure.  There is only one wyvern included with the Fortress, however.  Maybe it could be put into the second enclosure while the first one is being cleaned out?

I combined the Fortress with some other Burnham Raiders sets (including a second wyvern!), and I think it looks quite good.  (It looks much better in its real colour of dark grey!)

Conclusion:  Horrendous to build, though once built looks wonderfully fiery and adventuresome.  I like the doors with their fire lock.

Oh, and the breakaway walls do NOT fall out at every touch. They stay in place even with quite a hard knock to the Fortress.  And the Fortress is great when put together with other sets.

And … I was persuaded to buy this because Mr Raven said he ‘had ideas’ for it.  I don’t imagine he’ll have time for ‘ideas’ until next winter, but I’m intrigued what he might turn it into….
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to show us these new castles, Raven! Your reviews are very informative and a real asset for PF.

Unlike 70220 I have first-hand experience with 70221 and recognise the need for counter pressure when pushing parts together lest the receiving plastic bends away from the connectors. But, when done properly, the connections are quite firm.

I personally am no fan of the large tower [too chunky!], the lava corners, or the wyvern enclosures – and already did away with those parts – but very much enjoy the appearance of the walls and gate. Their colour matches the 'classic' System-X castle 3269, etc., so lots of MOC-building potential here.

The dragon-mouth cannons are likewise sublime. :love:

I notice that the bronze parts are still quite brittle, but not as bad as the problem used to be with parts of this colour (e.g. diver shoes, Arena chain supports). Nonetheless, delicate parts of the wyvern enclosure can easily break when handled wrongly.

I don’t think Kahboom is available with any set.

Actually, he has his own set – 70228 - Burnham Raiders Fire Master.

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
Oh, thank you about the set with Kahboom.  That is not available from the Playmobil site, but I've now found it on Amazon.  It will be ordered today!

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
Kahboom arrived yesterday, and is settling in.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
Thanks for the review. Cheerleaders with big fire balls :lol: :lol:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Good review, I also got this set and like it but had the same issue with the wall attachments. In some cases it is just easier to leave them off since I am not doingbheavy play with it. They nestle against each othr fine for display

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
Thanks for the detailed review! I was blissfully unaware of how bothersome assembling these new castles might turn out to be.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Thank you for the amazing review - as usual, you made me laugh  :P

The problem, I think, is that the plastic on the rocks is so thin that it bends inwards when one tries to push the connectors into it.

Yes, I believe that is so - a plague of recent sets..

As you can see, a klicky can hold them.  Which, unfortunately, made me think of having The Burnham Raiders Cheerleaders.

:lmao:

(I will NEVER be able to look at those as before. EVER again.