Author Topic: Hello from New England (USA)!  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Hello from New England (USA)!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 18:21:41 »
Ave, looking forward to your Roman dios! 
:roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman: :roman:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline IJL

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 18:14:49 »
True! Some people who use Latin as a living language use Mexicum (neuter gender).
Hmm, I hadn’t thought about Playmofriends as testers for my Latin learning site, but when I start sharing, I’d certainly be interested if people have feedback on the language aspect.
Salve de Novo Mexico!(?) I'm fairly certain Caesar went to neither the new nor the old Mexico, and I haven't the slightest idea what declension to assign to it. I had to take a year of Latin at uni. 30 years have not passed, but sometimes it feels like they have. I hope you share your website when it's up because we clearly need a Latin grammar refresher.  :lol:

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 03:56:18 »
Some people who use Latin as a living language use Mexicum (neuter gender).

Hmm... So, NOT like exempli gratia most 'feminin' provinces/countries of the Roman era: Italia, Hispania, Gallia, Germania, Brittannia, Africa, et cetera...
'Egypt' was apparently regarded (very) 'masculin', as it was called 'Aegyptus'.

Let´s call 'New Mexico' ... MeXICuM noVuM  ;D

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 08:20:47 »
Neuter sounds reasonable. Mexico is masculine in French and Italian (which don't have neuter), but it's neuter in Romanian and German. I don't know of any language where it's feminine.

Offline IJL

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 01:54:41 »
It’s true that there many place names that are feminine gender, like the ones you mention. But actually Aegyptus is feminine also. It is one of the relative rare feminine words that pattern like masculine -us words (2nd declension in grammar-speak).

So Roman coins depicting Egypt as “captured” have the phrase “Aegypto capta” (feminine) rather than “Aegypto capto” (masculine).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Denario_Aegypto_capta.jpg

But that sort of thing certainly felt weird. So other originally 2nd decl. feminine -us words tended to be “reassigned” to 4th declension or remade into 1st declensions ending in -a, or the like.

Hmm... So, NOT like exempli gratia most 'feminin' provinces/countries of the Roman era: Italia, Hispania, Gallia, Germania, Brittannia, Africa, et cetera...
'Egypt' was apparently regarded (very) 'masculin', as it was called 'Aegyptus'.

Let´s call 'New Mexico' ... MeXICuM noVuM  ;D