Author Topic: Why do klickys have numbers and letters on their bottoms.  (Read 2261 times)

Offline A Little Lady

• Playmo Enthusiast
Why do klickys have numbers and letters on their bottoms.
« on: August 03, 2009, 17:24:14 »
Hello

Why do they have these numbers and letters on their bottoms? Im mean if you turn some adults over
(especially victorian ones) they have some number often a fraction and another number nearby.

Not all playpeople have these, so im curious about why they exist?

Alexis
hello im a little lady and im a playperson

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Why do klickys have numbers and letters on their bottoms.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 20:30:24 »
You're right, and I've no idea what they are for.  In fact, I'd never noticed them before.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 17:27:43 »
I would guess it has to do with either tracking the molds or making sure the wrong leg shape isn't used. The one who may have some idea would be Heather. With all the info she has put together for PlaymoDB she's run across some interesting details.

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:57:05 »
Did somebody call me?

Unfortunately Alexis' question is one I haven't yet gotten to the bottom of, no pun intended, although I have been looking at mold markings lately.  Other parts also have these single digits with slashes, sometimes instead of a multi-digit mold number, sometimes along with.  All shoes have years on them, for instance, and bare-footed legs have the year on their behinds, inside the hinge.  I'll give some klickies clinical exams when I get a chance and see what I can come up with!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 16:42:58 »
Undoubtedly they are mould numbers, so if there are problems, especially within the factory, they can quickly be tracked back to the relevent machine. Imagine for instance that a whole bunch of legs turn up with the left boot not properly formed - they can trace back to the machine and mould for the blockage, or perhaps the plastic wasn't hot/fluid enough.

We've had a couple of discussions about the moulding processes, and the flow and rapid cooling of hot plastic is an interesting problem in fluid dynamics, and something my wife know an infinite amount more about than I do.

I've got a couple of very old Knight klickies on my desk, chromed bodies, non-turning hands and chassis the same colour as the legs, and they lack the mould numbers.

Offline A Little Lady

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 23:17:20 »
Undoubtedly they are mould numbers, so if there are problems, especially within the factory, they can quickly be tracked back to the relevent machine. Imagine for instance that a whole bunch of legs turn up with the left boot not properly formed - they can trace back to the machine and mould for the blockage, or perhaps the plastic wasn't hot/fluid enough.

We've had a couple of discussions about the moulding processes, and the flow and rapid cooling of hot plastic is an interesting problem in fluid dynamics, and something my wife know an infinite amount more about than I do.

I've got a couple of very old Knight klickies on my desk, chromed bodies, non-turning hands and chassis the same colour as the legs, and they lack the mould numbers.

i was wondering if it had something to do with "kilcky quality control".

Alexis
hello im a little lady and im a playperson