Author Topic: Storytelling competition suggestion  (Read 1847 times)

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
Storytelling competition suggestion
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:07:05 »
Hello and thank you! So, I’m not sure where to post this comment- I’ll start here and someone could kindly redirect me to an appropriate place. Despite not having a collection worth posting at the moment, I wanted to admire the collections and talent of my fellow playmobil artisans. I would like to start a playmobil story telling contest with a small and a big category. I’m open to suggestions in all phases of the contest, however, this is what I’m thinking...the small category will be anything roughly two feet by two feet in size, and the large will be anything larger no matter the size...I am open to the winners being decided by a vote from the community (I have no desire or need to be the one making such a decision, but I will if I must)...the guidelines for this story telling event will not focus on any particular type of story (because if it were up to me it would all be castle or medieval focused and I think it would be more fair to just say tell a compelling story). I think we should give everyone interested at least 1-2 months for complete just because life can get busy, right? The small prize winner will be given $25 dollars versus $75 dollars for the winning large scale playmobil scene...I would prefer the prize be given in terms of money, but am willing to offer equivalent value in the form of a brand new playmobil set if people view this as more appropriate...please let me know if I should post this somewhere else, or if there are suggestions for any portion of the contest! As of right now we will say roughly the beginning of April as the deadline for this contest, a contest decided on with poll results from the community? I hope this interests your playmobil geared minds, and I’m very excited to see the scenes, which will unfold to tell some wonderful stories!!

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: Storytelling competition suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:14:50 »
For the record, this is not my “mystery” project. Although, in some ways, the idea of this contest is not unlike the playmobil project that I am currently working to produce...

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:37:43 »
Once again let me know if you have any comments or suggestions, but I think the small category should actually be anything 3 feet by 3 feet (or smaller if you’d like) and the large category will be absolutely anything larger and larger.... Also, the prizes will be enhanced largely to protect against someone winning both (you can enter both contest sizes)- the large event will win $100, and the small contest size will win $50, with an extra $25 going to second place in votes for the smaller contest in the event that one person wins both fields just to spread the love...once again any comments and suggestions are most appreciated- though I would like to maintain that the winners be decided by votes from the community, because who am I to decide such a winner? Very excited to see what comes : )

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 09:51:18 »
That's a great idea! Let's hope it generates sufficient interest.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:19:15 »
Thank you for moving this, I truly had no idea where to post it. Also, yes, I’m hoping we have people who are interested. The idea wasn’t generating any interest and I feared/was embarrassed that I might have done something wrong. Would love for the fun contest to become a reality, but i won’t be offended if it doesn’t materialize. Hope everyone is having a safe day.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 18:05:46 »
We used to have a photo contest, and it was lovely  :heart:, so your idea for a storytelling competition sounds fabulous!

I don't have enough spare time to do actual Playmobil dios/stories anymore, although I keep collecting here and there with the idea of starting things up again, some day. Dreaming is important  ;D

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 00:45:57 »
Who knows maybe one rainy day you’ll have some spare time to enter the smaller contest? Also, if you think extending the time past two months will help, that is a suggestion I’m all for! As long as there is interest I’ll take any and all suggestions or preferences and hammer out definitive guidelines and post them within a week if that sounds appealing...

Offline NICO

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Greetings from Geobratia
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 12:05:49 »
In the Spanish "playclicks" forum there has been an active micro-story competition since November 2007. Many people have contributed since then with their stories. And some of them are really very good. I encourage you to do something like this. Regards!

Each month a thread is opened to publish the stories, and another thread to publish comments. From the 25th to the last day of the month, any forum user can give their rating, in a thread that is opened for voting.

You can browse with CHROME, use the automatic translation tool of the website and check it on this link: http://www.playclicks.com/playforos/index.php?board=55.0

Greetings!

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 12:42:23 »
I can't enter (my Playmobil and me are not on the same continent  :lol: ), but if I were to then it might be a good idea to theme it - even if it's very loose?

I don't think you need to offer a prize, and then it could be more frequent. Maybe one every two months, and the themes could be planned out, so people could get ideas or just know which ones they wanted to enter? And you just get the honour of winning  :lol:

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 13:42:44 »
     Interesting suggestion concerning the other website, but I couldn’t seem to find where to translate the site. In any case, if possible I’m certainly open to pulling ideas from their site, however, I think it would be great if we had one of our own! Also, I’m totally okay with creating a theme for the story contest, but I didn’t want to alienate anyone if their collection would not be able to accommodate a particular theme. It could be a good idea to create the contest many times and have the theme change, but we would need to make sure there is sufficient interest- I’m not even sure if we definitely have the interest for this current one!
     Having a prize associated with the contest was merely a fun way to put some good vibes out there during a difficult time for a lot of people, we of course already get to play with the toys we love and of course the honor of winning is a valid point for sure. Oh I almost forgot, for people who may not be near their collection- I see no problem with allowing past dioramas entrance into the contest, if we did this you’d be able to post anything you’ve created? Just a random idea to help... So we shall see. Thank you for the ideas, maybe we could have a vote on all of the undecided variables as well as figuring out the number of people even potentially interested. I’m thinking, at some point soon, we should make sure there are enough people who want to join in on the fun...