Author Topic: Series 1 to 5 Rant  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Jay

• Playmo Addict
Series 1 to 5 Rant
« on: January 17, 2013, 15:18:55 »
Okay, why am I not feeling the fun in the search here? I'm suppose to buy a pig in a poke, getting something I may not want,because I have no way of knowing what I buy until I open it,  for close to twice the price of the 'specials' that you could load up on if you like, or avoid if you didn't, because this is supposed to be enjoyable?  What am I missing here?

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
Re: Series 1 to 5 Rant
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 15:31:27 »
It's the thrill of the hunt, the fun is in the surprise.

Like Panini stickers and collectable cards, I assume that kids can exchange their doubles with their friends to complete the series.
As adults, it's more difficult unless you have fellow collectors at work.  ;D

Extras can also be used to create whole new characters.

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 16:38:41 »
Around here (Canada), the Fi?ures are 50 cents less than Specials... and for those of us who spend a little time "feeling" the bags, we get what we want.  It's easy to feel the dwarf's round shield for example. I have every one so far - and haven't made too many mistakes.  For kids, like Redmao says, it's like all of those other collectable figs that are out there these days.

I hope you can find some cheaper fi?ures where ever you are, Jay - and feel for the ones who want.  That's the game for us adults (and serious collectors).

David

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 19:13:29 »
Well, trade inside a series, even if you had them all... you'd only get freaks, like the ones displayed on playmobil... how is THAT supposed to be attractive, I don't know.

Not sure they are cheap enough for several kids to have enough to trade.

Unfortunately, I'm hopeless at feeling he bags - when they're not boxed.

So far couldn't find cheap dwarves.

Offline nunney

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 23:48:14 »
i could see how this could be fun for a kid and a nightmare for a parent but i think its as close as playmobil can come to endorsing customization without also encouraging a kid to watch youtube videos on how to use mom and dad's tool kit to take it apart. it makes sense given where we are culturally in an era when even the notion of remixing is now a tradition and it gives kids a little of the experience of assembling stuff from a perceived ground up.

i fully understand the feeling that it's a cynical endeavor but it's something that is clicking with kids across brands, right?
i don't mind the mystery component, per se' but i think that is something generally more exciting for a kid who is able to experience the surprise factor when he or she opens a bag up. i agree with others who have chimed in about series 4 and will by no means buy the lot. i look forward to some of the figures like the hula girl and the stilted clown but probably would have been fine buying them as a 'special boxed release. i don't get a rush of anticipation or whatever because i mostly try to figure out everything before i leave a shop - all the while fearing that i'll get kicked out for fondling bags...fortunately i have my kids as cover. unfortunately, they are right in the fray with me, feeling around to see if they can figure the figs out. that's a little fun, to be honest,because we get to play a bit of a guessing game. i know a lot of criticism has been lodged at series 4 for doing unoriginal themes or rehashes. i agree from the vantage point of someone who ideally would like to see the mystery series as an opportunity to test out bold and daring possibilities for future series. instead, we're getting some of that with more of a 'sampler' approach - here's a princess, here's a pirate here's a fireman - which is too bad BUT i have to remind myself of the kid who is going to take these iconic genre figures and maybe have a ball mixing them up. they aren't necessarily going to be aware of what's been done before -whether it's a baseball player or a king.

now, to me, the biggest mystery of the mystery figures so far is their mysterious distribution here in the u.s.. is this a problem worldwide? what were the production runs? Did they overdo it with series 2 and scale back with 3? i'd love to know , y'know, wtf. with regards to series 3, among mom and pops on the east coast and midwest, some shops secured some while others i went to never had them and never offered, as is usually the norm, to special order. i was frequently routed to other brands who also do mystery figures.

we never saw these in toys r us - not in september and not in december. did some toys r us stores stock and others not? did they bring in the bare minimum and then choose not to reorder them? some members have reported getting them from kohls but that seems to be the exception and not the rule. i believe i read on one of the threads here of a member finding them at target. this would be valuable information to get hold of and a promising shift given that that relationship had presumably dissolved.

You can't sell what's not there (unless you work in finance) and that's a pity for everyone in the end because people the uninitiated will just move on to another toy maker waiting in the wings.

in any case, i can't really imagine the mystery figs being a long term line because it screams 'fad'. but maybe i'm wrong.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:48:01 by nunney »

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 00:37:20 »
I think the surprise would be fun for kids. I would certainly use them as cheap gifts for children or party favors.

As an adult, the surprise isn't quite as appealing. It would be nice to be able to order specific figures online (as a pcc benefit, maybe?).

I would like to see more original figures or revisions of retired specials (like they did with the guard). But I do like some of the figures, and they are a nice way to sample themes I can't afford to branch out into.

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 00:49:44 »
I love the challenge of feeling the bags   :love: - even if I do embarrass my teenage sons a little!   ;D 
Luckily, because of our Kirkbean Playmobil Exhibition, the local toy shop owners know me and don't mind me standing around for ages until I find what I want - in fact if they're not too busy they wait for me to open the bag to see if my guess is correct   :lol:  So far I have been right on all but two occasions  :)
I do collect Specials, but buying those doesn't hold the same challenge!
Probably I'm just a big kid at heart  :lol:

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Jay

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:17:29 »
These are $5 a bag here at TRU. I did see some series 3 yesterday at one, but they also had 2 & 1. So, how well do these sell? If their idea is to compete with the Danish company, those are $3 a bag. Smaller figures, sure, but a few bucks cheaper.   I've tried the 'feel' method, but as more than one person said, that's a bit weird. An adult hanging around a toy store feeling up toys is a bit unnerving for all involved.
I can't see any reason why they couldn't still have some way to make these kits like they are now and still let the buyer know what's in each kit. If someone want's to mix up the figures, then they can buy other kits.
Like a lot of people, there's a number of figures that I'd buy a bunch off, but I'm not going to take a chance on getting something I clearly don't want.
It would be nice to think that PMB knows what they are doing, but more than once we've seen them make dumb decissions.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:26:54 by Jay »

Offline nunney

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 05:54:12 »
These are $5 a bag here at TRU. I did see some series 3 yesterday at one, but they also had 2 & 1. So, how well do these sell?

wow. this is one more reason why the bags need to be sold through tru's online site. there's just too much variance from one shop to the next. perhaps some of the american members here can start keeping one another informed on resources.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 08:28:06 »
$5 a bag?!  :o