Author Topic: Does Anyone Read Chinese?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Re: Does Anyone Read Chinese?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 16:37:25 »
As GrahamB already pointed out:

Set 70298 is Dr. Emmet Brown, a Back to the Future set from 2020, so nice though these figures are, they are unlikely to be manufactured by Geobra!

But a web search of "Playmobil 70298" also shows other images including a 12 piece set of figures boxed in the same manner as Jim's Lady Liberty. 

Also interesting, I searched unsuccessfully for "PlayPlay Toys Shanghai" but discovered instead that there is an official Playmobil Experience Center in Shanghai!  Did we know about this???   :o

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 17:29:56 »
As GrahamB already pointed out:

But a web search of "Playmobil 70298" also shows other images including a 12 piece set of figures boxed in the same manner as Jim's Lady Liberty. 

Also interesting, I searched unsuccessfully for "PlayPlay Toys Shanghai" but discovered instead that there is an official Playmobil Experience Center in Shanghai!  Did we know about this???   :o

PM looking to capture all the future growth from China's new and fervent push for more children?

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 18:25:12 »

Yes, there were several articles about it in PM In The News at the time.  :)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 00:20:17 »
PM looking to capture all the future growth from China's new and fervent push for more children?

:lol: Joking aside, there probably would be a good market for Playmobil if they could tap it logistically. Most 'nicer' malls have a Lego store, and there's probably a market for European toys (the fact that they stick a German flag on the box points to this).

Yes, I worked with it & it disassembled. It arrived already put together & I couldn't pull it apart at first.

Interesting, mine came in pieces.

A funny thing is that I bought these figures online, and they vary the price, presumably based on demand. So when I bought the Statue of Liberty she was about 40RMB, but now she's 88RMB

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 04:10:12 »
China's birthrate is below replacement with nothing they've tried so far seeming to have any effect turning it around. So the market, while still huge, will continue to shrink.  :uhoh:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 13:09:47 »
China's birthrate is below replacement with nothing they've tried so far seeming to have any effect turning it around. So the market, while still huge, will continue to shrink.  :uhoh:

The birth rate in every country that Playmobil is likely to sell to is below replacement (and in it's principle market has been below replacement since before Playmobil was invented), so I don't think that should hold them back  :lol: But logistically I don't think they could crack China

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 13:22:58 »
The bigger problem is screens... I see more young children  (5 and under) in public in the US holding a tablet or phone as opposed to a toy... media has become the "toy" of choice and this attachment just strengthens as children age

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 16:29:56 »
Yes, there were several articles about it in PM In The News at the time.  :)

I must have missed that article - I should have known that you were on top of this!   :)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2024, 03:23:54 »
The bigger problem is screens... I see more young children  (5 and under) in public in the US holding a tablet or phone as opposed to a toy... media has become the "toy" of choice and this attachment just strengthens as children age

I know, and I hate to be a old grump about it, but one of my pet hates is people taking their children to a restaurant and then parking them in front of a screen. Is that what they do at home?

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2024, 16:14:51 »
I know, and I hate to be a old grump about it, but one of my pet hates is people taking their children to a restaurant and then parking them in front of a screen. Is that what they do at home?

While we’re all in front of a “screen”  :lol:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays: